Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of Oil/Grease? Lower Unit, '99 C40TLRX

C40TLRX, 2-stroke, No Oil Injection

I had water intrusion in lower unit, eventually observed leak around prop shaft and replaced those seals. Subsequently observed oily fluid coming from out around junction at gearcase and "intermediate housing", some while engine tilted, at the front side where there appears to be a small vent, and a little mixed with water from drain vents.

Although I haven't tested for leaks with pressure/vacuum yet (tool challenged), I see no evidence of lower unit leaks around drive shaft or shift rod. It was a little dirty and greasy when I dropped the LU, and I wondered if the fluid may be coming from above (crankshaft bearings/seals, unburnt fuel/oil).... ? Also wondered if it could be residual grease (mixed w/ water, other incidental "crud").

I plan to pressure test, but if it's not coming from the LU, I wonder if I even have a problem, or if it is just incidental crud. It did not smell like LU dope, thought I may have noticed just a hint of fuel smell.............????????

sounds like unburnt fuel/oil leaking out of vents. Usually comes from too much fuel, leaking fuel pump, or running to cold (bad/stuck thermostat).
    My C40 had that until I found out a previous owner had drilled out the main jets and I replaced them.
    Would not be a bad idea to run some seafoam through it after fixing what is wrong

Comment

Interesting I noticed alot while doing my negative pressure test.

The motor was fogged pretty good and alot of that burned oil found it's way out.

Comment

Fogging

Mine was fresh off a good fogging as well.........

Comment

Working...
        X