Replace water impella part 6H3-44352-00,
    Change 4 spark plugs NGK DPR5EA-9,
    & Std gear oil,
    Pick the boat up Friday arvo & head out to our local dam with the
    Family for the weekend fishing & camping,
    Get to the dam & set up camp & put the boat in start to head off & get
    about 20 meters & the Alarm starts going off
    only way i could stop it was turn the motor off ok i check the intake &
    make sure theres nothing blocking it & that theres water pumping all clear start to go again & same thing,
    I limp it back to the car & take it out & check the Thermostat i boiled some
    water & put it in to see if it opens & shuts everythings ok there so i leave
    the thermostat out & put it back in to see if thats what was causing the problem not even run for 2 min & same thing ,
    I felt the water that was coming out the side & it was luke warm (normal)&
    pumping plenty of water,
    Take it back out & if you put your hand on the motor cover it was hot
    like a hot cuppa prob to hot considering only running for a few min,
    Not happy Jan camping for 2 days with no boat & bored ****agers

Is there anything else i can check before i take it back to Machenic
    or what else could be causing this to happen considering ive never had any
    problems with getting a service before & that its only been in fresh water for
    the 500 hours its done.

Cheers Rob.

Check the oil, may be low.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yeh the Oil is ok ive got the 4lt container & he put in
      2 Lts of Quicksilver SAE 10W-30 4 Stroke Engine Oil,

How much do they hold ??,

This is what the owners manual says to check,

possible cause when warning buzzer sounds

1.cooling system cloged
      2.engine oil level low
      3.heat range of spark plug incorrect
      4.specified engine oil not used
      5.engine oil contaminated
      6.oil filter clogged have seviced by yamaha dealer
      7.oil feed/injection pump malfunction
      8.load on boat improperly distributed
      9.water pump/thermostat faulty

Cheers Rob.

Comment

I had EXACTLY the same problem on a 150 immediately after replacing the water pump impeller. Water was coming out of the pilot hole OK and was luke warm as normal. The motor would run OK for several minutes at low RPM, try to accellerate past about 2000 RPM and alarm and rough running (fuel injection limp home mode).

The problem turned out to be an incorrectly fitted water pump impeller (metal) cup. It had turned inside the water pump cover during fitting and had partially obscured the water intake slot. It was pumping sufficient volume at low engine RPM but there was not enough volume above 2000 RPM so the motor overheated.

I suggest you look at this as I have a strong feeling that might be the trouble.

Comment

Thanks for the reply & info Catface12 ive already taken it back to the machanic so ill ring him today & see if he can pull the leg off & check the impeller ,
          I actually rang him when the problem happened & asked him if it from the impeller being installed incorect & he said theres only one way they lock in
          & that if theres water coming out the pisser it wouldnt have anything to do with that he claims theres prob a water chamber blockage ??
          more like pay me more money for nothing while i put the impeller in the correct way

Cheers Rob.

Comment

Ah the machanic found the problem

He pulled the leg of & checked the water pump & impeller,
            He found a heap of small gravel had been sucked in the intake & caused
            the water pump housing to melt out of shape enough to still let some water
            pass before it couldnt pump enough causing it to heap up ,

F----d if i know i would of done the same thing a thousand times before
            back the boat in while its still on the trailer & start it then undo it & jump on
            & back it off the trailer ,
            Yes it was just the old gravel road that every one is using as the boat ramp
            but you wouldnt think the intake would suck that sort of gravel up,
            He recons because the new impeller been new it would of been pumping alot of water through,
            So now im up for a new water pump housing another impella & more bloody
            labour
            God knows how much a new water pump housing will cost
            the impellar only about $35 oh well you learn the stupid little things like this
            can cost you & ill have to take more care next time when launching & running
            it up the bank when staying for a few days,

Anyway you all better read this & take care when using gravel ramps .

Cheers Rob.

Comment

I am glad you got this sorted, however, I think you should consider investing in a workshop manual and doing things like water pump changes yourself. It is very easy to do and can be accomplished with simple hand tools. It would have saved you the extra labour cost and paid for itself first time you use it.

Comment

Yes Catface12 i agree buddy ive been doing some reserch & found some
                good footage & step by step stuff on UTube just type in Impeller & theres a heap of different clips of general services to changing impellers & gear oil ect ,
                & your right in saving labour $120 for the service & now prob another 3 hours
                to replace the water pump housing & impeller again & he has to flush the rest of the gravel out thats still in the water intake tube ah & put the thermostat back in ,
                Ive got a mate that works for a boat shop in Vic & hes going to let me know
                how much all the parts are just incase the machanics trying to rip me off
                I dont beleive he would but peice of mind for future break downs.

Ps:Thanks again for your replys & help .

Cheers Rob.

Comment

3 hours! You have got to be joking! I can replace a water pump on my F150's in less than 30 minutes from start to finish. It should take no more than an hour top whack to do this. It is not like he is going to have to loosen any seized/corroded bolts as he has just had the lower unit off. Flush out the gravel form the water tube. Just connect the hose to the flush adapter and turn on the tap with the lower unit removed. How hard can that be?

Comment

Ah just a update if anyones interested

Ive just picked my boat back up from the machanic & forked out another
                    $260 hard ern cash ,

Anyway what my question is i did a bit of a ring around to another Yammy
                    dealer & got the parts quoted because the machanic couldnt tell me how much a water pump repair kit would cost ,
                    I told them i need a replacement water pump kit for a 2004 60hp 4st Yammy
                    All the parts needed which include the impeller,

They quoted me $90 for the kit + $35 for the housing = $125 total,
                    Have they missed some parts ??,

The machanics docket says 1 x water pump repair kit part No:63D-W0078-01,

Which included
                    Part No:63D-44312-00 Cover,Water Pump HO
                    Part No:63D-44316-00 Gasket,water pump
                    Part No:63D-44322-00 Insert,cartridge
                    Part No:63D-44323-00 Outer plate,cartidge
                    Part No:663-44366-00 Water seal 2
                    Part No:6H3-44352-00 Impellar
                    Part No:90119-08M15 Bolt,with washer (62) x 4
                    Part No:90280-03024 Key,woodruff (662)
                    Part No:93210-59MG7 O-Ring
                    For the amount of $220

Im i missing something or is the other dealer $95 dearer for the same thing ??? thats not a bad % mark up hey,
                    yeh maybe theres the freight for 100km del which would only be $15 it took them 7 days to get the bloody things in you would think over night the same as the other dealer i rang,

If anyone knows how much the above parts should of cost for future reference like replacing another water pump ha ha would be apreciated,

Cheers Rob.

Comment

Working...
                    X