Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange starter problem

Hello all,

Hope someone can help me out. I have a 1998 115 2 stroke saltwater series engine. I am the second owner of the boat, not sure of the hours, but I have used the boat for the last 3 years with no major issues.
    Today I encountered a strange problem. I think I know what the problem is, but I would like to hear some other suggestions/solutions.
    Engine would start with choke engaged, usually 3 attemps of turning the key as it is a cold start. Starter engages no problem, pinion gear drops back down, after a few minutes of warming up, the pinion gear would pop up, and hit the flywheel causing a clank noise and a puff of smoke as the gear hits the spinning flywheel.
    I was able to replicate this problem 5 or 6 times today as the motor was running on muffs. I watched the voltage on the dash guage, when it would reach the full 14.4v then the pinion gear would pop up, bang against the flywheel, and the starter would continue to spin. I would then turn the motor off.
    I tried spraying wd-40 into the key / ignition switch, let it drain out of the weep hole, then spray compressed air into the keyhole. This worked for a few hours, then it started again. I thought there could have been moisture in the ignition causing the starter to get tripped.
    I noticed that when the problem does occur, if I just slightly move the key counter-clockwise, all while the starter is "phantom" engaging, then it will stop and pinion gear drops down and starter stops spinning.
    I am hoping I just need a new "ignition switch", or can there be another issue? Starter itself?, relay?, bad wire?
    Any help would be appreciated.

THX Scott

Something is telling the starter to engage for it to do that. The only other thing it could be would be a short in the wiring, but I believe you have found the problem is with the switch if you can stop it from happening by moving the switch a small amount.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I ordered a new main switch from Boats.net today as I am pretty confident it is indeed the switch. My local parts shop wanted almost $40 bucks more than what I ordered the part online for. The nerve of them!
      I just hope that replacing the switch isnt too big of a job.

THX Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Something is telling the starter to engage for it to do that. The only other thing it could be would be a short in the wiring, but I believe you have found the problem is with the switch if you can stop it from happening by moving the switch a small amount.
        Turned out that the switch was bad. Tested the brown wire feeding the starter relay with the ignition turned to on, and a voltmeter test showed a full 12.6v going to the relay. Bad switch. Installed a new one, problem resolved.

Thx for your help

Scott

Comment

Working...
        X