Hookup problems-Yamaha Pro Series Tach with Oil Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hookup problems-Yamaha Pro Series Tach with Oil Lights

I am installing gauges in my 1992 16 foot Bayliner Classic. The boat has never had gauges installed before. I inherited it from my father-in-law who died just this past April at 97. Several years ago he replaced the original Force motor with a 1996 70 HP Yamaha 3 cylinder (849 cc) outboard (70TLRU) and a 703 Con*****er. The boat and motor are in great shape otherwise.

I have obtained the following tach and harnesses from Yamaha:
    Tachometer- Yamaha Pro Series Tach with Oil Level Indicator Lights-6Y5-83540-05-00
    Trim/Oil Wiring Harness-68F-82553-50-00
    Dual-fuse Gauge Harness-6Y5-83553-NO-00

The tach portion is working fine. Where I am having problems is getting the three Oil Level Lights in the tach to work using the above Trim/Oil wiring harness.

At the motor end, the nylon wire connector under the motor cowling coming from the oil level sensor switch in the oil tank is a four-prong connector with only two wires attached (Green and Green/Red). The two blank positions have plugs in them.
    Oil Sensor Connector at Motor1.JPG

The four-prong nylon connector on the Oil/Trim wiring harness that connects to the above mentioned oil level sensor connector has a wire attached to each of the four prongs (Blue/White, White/Red, Green, and Green/Red). The Green and the Green/Red wires in each of the connectors align with one another.
    Harness Oil Connector at Motor End2 .JPG

The Oil/Trim harness on the tach end has a four-prong connector with the same four wires attached as on the motor end.
    Harness Oil Connector at Tach End3.JPG

On the tach there is a four prong connector with four wires attached (Red/Black dots, Yellow/Red dots, Green/Red dots, and Black/Red dots) leading to the three Oil level Lights.
    Tach Back View4.JPG Tach Oil Light Connector5.JPG

None of the three oil level lights on the tach burn when the Oil harness connector on the motor end is attatched to the Oil Sender connector and the Oil harness connector on the opposite end is attached to the Oil Level Lights connector on the tach.

My Yamaha Service manual does not show a wiring diagram for this particular tach/harness combination. I have searched the internet with no luck. Do I have all the harnesses needed? If not, what else do I need to make this hookup? It seems like something is missing. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hookup problems-Yamaha Pro Series Tach with Oil lights

I called the Yamaha Outboard Customer Service line and was told that I did in fact need another item to make this Tach/Oil Level Lights-Harness combination work. It is a relay, 6Y5-81950-02-00, that connects between the Oil connector on the Oil/Trim harness and the Oil Level Lights connector coming from the Tach. It converts the two-wire Oil Level Lights input from the Oil Sensor to a four-wire output from the relay needed as input to the Oil Level Lights on the Tach. I haven't received the relay yet to see if it works or not but it does seem reasonable.

Comment

Working...
    X