Compression problem 90hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression problem 90hp

In 2002 I wanted to purchase a Yamaha outboard, but given that there were no dealers in my region, I was advised to purchase a Mercury 90hp, which I was told is made by Yamaha.

I used the motor not much more than 20 hours a year and have had it professionally serviced each year.

This spring, I had problems starting it. The dealer said that there was no compression in one of the cylinders, and very low compression in one of the others. He installed a reconditionned head (It took several weeks to get the required "shims" because the dealer claims they have to be ordered from China - the engine was ready in mid-August only!)

The repairs cost me 1 700$.

My question : given that the motor has only 200-300 hours on it, I wonder if there could have been a factory fault in the motor when brand new. If not, what could I have done which would cause this compression problem?

Has anyone any information about this, such as recalls or frequently reported problems similar to mine ?
    Last edited by Andre; 08-23-2010, 10:14 PM. Reason: unclear title

You can get a Mercury dealer to check that serial number for any bulletins or updates. The mechanic should be able to tell what might have caused the engine to fail but could have been running too lean, overheating, lack of lubrication, or an ignition or timing problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X