1986 power trim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 power trim problem

Hi, everyone, new to this post. I just purchased a boat with a 1986 Yamaha model 50ejtl. motor runs great. Pwr trim works good on the trailer but under pwr in the water the trim will not trim up. it will trim down due to the torque of prop pushing forward but not enough strength in the hydralics to trim up while under pwr. I put the boat back on the trailer and tested a little more. I can put downward pressure on the lower uint while someone else is trimming up and I can stop the motor and I hear a squeeling noise. It sounds like the electric trim motor keeps running but no pwr in the hydralics when meeting resistance. also trimed unit up high and left overnight to see if motor would leak down and it did not, it stayed up . is there any adjustment or is there any suggestions. new to this motor and any help would be great. Thanks

It could be a Power tilt but not a power trim.
    The 50 EJTL model # does not look right. Is that the way it is stamped on the motor bracket?

Comment

I'm sorry, model 50etlj. The way i see it ,it should come up. It has a single ram. just no strength in the hydraulics. when resistance is put on it ,it squeals like it has hit its max motion limit . any toughts thanks

Comment

I checked voltage and all is good. Battery is topped up, I don't think it's electrical. I checked fluid and it was a tadd low so I topped up but it did not help. if the ram is sticking , How do I fix that? I'm thinking its hydraulic but i don't know were to start.

Comment

iboats Boating Forums - View Single Post - Decoding Yamaha serial #?

The T in the model # can stand for power tilt or for power tilt and trim
          I have a feeling yours is just power tilt, with no trim so it will not work under load

Comment

Am I chasing my tail trying to fix a problem that is not broke? I did a little more research on the model # 50ETLJ found out that 50= hp,E= manual tilt (not making sense) T= pwr trim/tilt, L= 20 inch shaft, J =1986. I guess I don't understand the difference between trim and tilt. Can someone please explain.. My last boat had a 93 Evinrude on it. In the water I would trim down untill the boat would start comming out of the water and then start trimming up to get on plane to increase speed and fuel economy. Is this not the way this trim unit is supposed to work? Again this past weekend is the first time in the water and I noticed the difference or problem within the first 100 yds of the ramp. Any help would be great Thanks

Comment

look at this for 1985 to 1990 models if you could not see it in the last post I sent
              Last edited by 99yam40; 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Now I see what your getting at. That states T= pwr tilt OR pwr tilt/trim. Thats a bummer! Correct me on this assumption . If I tilt this motor to a position that is acceptable for both pulling up out of the hole and crusing along on plane . Will this motor stay in that position or will it fade down due to the torque of the prop pushing on it??? On the transom mount there are 5 holes and a rod that passes thru to stop the unit from going all the way down. I removed it thinking it was for trailering. Is that there to stop the motor from fading all the way down?

Comment

Now I see what your getting at. That states T= pwr tilt OR pwr tilt/trim. Thats a bummer! Correct me on this assumption . If I tilt this motor to a position that is acceptable for both pulling up out of the hole and crusing along on plane . Will this motor stay in that position or will it fade down due to the torque of the prop pushing on it??? On the transom mount there are 5 holes and a rod that passes thru to stop the unit from going all the way down. I removed it thinking it was for trailering. Is that there to stop the motor from fading all the way down?

Comment

Working...
                  X