Overheat alarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheat alarm?

Last time I had the boat out I had some problems with what I think was overheating. Did fine until I headed back to the launch. Hadn't really used the motor much, just running from different spots on the river but there was a lot of seaweed in the water. The motor worked fine and then reduced down to almost an idle speed and the alarm sounded. Shut the motor down but when I started it again it seemed to be working properly with no alarm after that but it didn't seem to have it's usual power. Still spitting water, but I didn't think to check that until I made it back to the launch. Any ideas from you guys about this, clogged cooling system possibly?

when was the last time you replaced the water pump and thermostat.

And We have no idea what motor we are talking about

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention that. It's an 02 40hp four stroke. I have not replaced the water pump or the thermostat. I just got the boat this last spring and have only changed the oil, lower unit oil, fuel filter, and plugs.

Comment

I have seen rubber impellers damaged by blocked off intakes , so I would replace it and at least test the thermostat if not replacing it just to be sure

Comment

How easy is it to replace the impeller? I was thinking about replacing the thermostat just because I have no idea when anything was done to the motor and with it being a cheap part it just makes sense.

Comment

A Yamaha repair/service manual will help you out while working on your motor for years to come, get one and read up.

2 strokes are easy but I never did a 4 stroke so I can not say.

Comment

I'm going to pick up a service manual in the morning and take a look. Just need to get things figured out soon, got an important trip coming up in a couple weeks!

Comment

Working...
              X