09 250hpdi starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09 250hpdi starting issue

2 weeks ago I bought a left over boat(0 hours) W/250 hpdi I'm on my 7th hour now, around the 3 hour mark if I stopped say 15 times in a day to fish on the eighth time I would try to start after fishing awhile the motor would crank like there was no fuel, after sitting around twenty mins it would start like nothing was ever wrong? No alarms of any sort. Usually does this once or twice a day. Happened twice yesterday so I tryed pressing the hot foot slightly and give a little gas it will fire after about 5-10 secs of cranking but sounds like its flooding. I know I need to take it in and actually did once but they were having an issue with diagnostic equipment and didnt get to it.Has anyone experienced this just looking for an idea I'm afraid they will tell me there is no codes stored so they cant really do anything til the component causing issue goes out.
    Thanks

I have the exact same problem with mine, about the same hours also. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem at the shop. When it happens, I can hold the hot foot wide open (don't pump it) and it starts. It's driving me crazy because there is no pattern to when it decides it doesn't want to start.

Comment

Ray has it thrown any codes in the computer? Also I've searched the net and found maybe 3 other people with the same problem(you may have been one of them) the only thing I've seen in common is they were all on Rangers with a keypad ignition, is yours the same..... I'm going to try to get mine in the shop next week I'll try to stay in touch and let you know if they find anything but like you there is no rhyme or reason on when it will happen so I dont have my hopes up' , my problem is identical to yours, is yours a 09?
      Last edited by ky521; 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Mine is actually a 2006 on a 2008 Z21 Ranger with the keypad.

Another thing it does is when I start it after unloading, it barely idles, like it's starving for fuel. Sometimes if it dies, then it does the "wont start" thing. It might go for 2-3 trips without doing it, and then it happens. Most times it cranks and runs fine.

My local dealer just shut it's doors so I haven't been able to get it in a shop yet.

Comment

Ray mine is also a z21 but I dont think the brand has any affect, yours is doing a few things mine isnt. Mine seems to be some sort of vapor lock. I did get a reply on another forum from a dealer I'll let you read it....

"We have had some similar problems with the HPDI. It seemed to have come about with the hot weather we are experiencing.One thing that has helped is to enter your code and allow a few seconds to let the fuel pump to cycle.Also it is important to raise your engine up until it's just ready to break the water. The idea is to take the back prssure off the motor. Another thing we recommend is not switch fuel tanks while running. You should do it at an idle and let it pull the fresh gas a minute or two. This seems to eliminate vapor lock and air going through the pump and injectors. Hope all this helps.I still recommend going to your dealer and let him check it out for you."

I'm still going in to get it run on diagnostics but this seems to fit as everytime I've been out the temp has been around 95-100*. I 'll still keep in contact....

Comment

Working...
          X