1992 yamaha 90 hp 2stroke stalling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 yamaha 90 hp 2stroke stalling problem

my 90 hp 1992 yamaha is very clean, bought my boat with this engine 1 month ago. it has had a problem, tho not major, since day one. i start the engine, it will idle fine for 2min or longer while i get ready in the dock, i do the 5mph speed restriction for 5-10min to reach the bay. i open her up going steady 4300 rpm ( she will hit 5400 but i never go to that rpm) and she sounds great, runs great, i reach a second 5mph speed zone that is very long, 1 mile long. the engine does for a while at low rpm but almost in the same spot, it starts to vibrate, then stall. Pumping the primer bulb seems to help, and i can fight off the stall with that and illegally speeding her up a bit. I had a slightly different thing happen the other night, making short drifts at night, past a light over a dock catching weakfish and stripers, i would go uptide, drift past the dock, then restart and do the same, on my 5th restart, i started to give her gas and she stalled.

now, i want to let you know, that she will not restart after the stall. actually, its very odd, if i fail at preventing the stall, i prime the bulb and she will not restart for almost exactly 6min. i turn the key but the engine will not turn over. i always sit, wait, worry that i will have to be towed, and like magic, about 5-8min later she will start up, like nothing was wrong runs great and 4300 rpm again and then when i drop to low rpm for speed zone, the same routine might happen, its fustrating i am a new boater and do not want to have worries on the water i just want to fich this boat is my dream i saved for 2 years!!. the engine i might add looks absolutly spotless when i take her cover off, very clean looking . the dealership where i boat the boat told me the motor was in pristine condition and i even have a 90 day warrentee on it, however i do not have a trailer and it is a hassel getting the boat back to the dealership, i would love to know wut is causing this and mabey fix it myself.

sorry for the long post and thank you very much in advance for a reply.

Get the boat back on the dealership. Since you have the 90-day warranty, it is not worth spending a minute nor a dime on this motor.

Comment

ok, was told to change the water seperator and add ring free and star tron fuel additive. i am not sure if it is possible to help already but i ran the boat for a 1 hour test at all speeds and not one stall, i even ran at 5mph for 30min straight!?! could it have been that simple? do those additives help that much and just changing the water sperator??

Comment

Working...
      X