2006 TLR 70HP 2 Stroke low speed problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 TLR 70HP 2 Stroke low speed problem

I have a problem with engine running bad under load until around 1500 RPM. After anything over 1500 no problem.
    (Back ground)
    This engine ran fine for the first three years. Spring of it’s forth year it developed this condition of I will call misfiring.
    (Start of problem)
    This boat was put up in fall for winter storage. I found out in spring that a family member had run the boat and did not winterize it after use. I took the boat to the dealer and they serviced the carbs they cleaned them in an ultrasonic tank. I picked up the boat and the problem was still there. I returned the boat to the dealer and was charged a second time to be told that it all checked out good compression ect . That he saw what I was talking about BUT just run the boat over 1500 rpm. This is not an option as there are a lot of no wake zones in the area we boat and it is not running correctly. I called the factory for advice was told that the dealer that preformed the repair was not a Yamaha trained mechanic. They are an authorized dealer just no factory certified mechanic they suggested I take it to a dealer that was factory trained and nearby. This was done after three weeks I got the call the boat was ready. I picked it up and dropped in the water for a run and same problem. The work done was replaced the fuel filter primer bulb and coupling connector at engine. These were not the Yamaha brand but aftermarket parts they also adjusted the carbs (found to be out of adjustment.) I called them to meet me at the dock so I could run the boat with them and their mechanic came out and explained that it was running good in the test tank. He then played with the pilot screws and tells me that I can replace all the carbs charge you a lot of money and you can still have the same problem we will just have to start looking at reed valves port castings and go into the engine. He tells me to run the boat for a bit and bring it back if the problem will not go away on its own. At this point I have all ready spent more than it would have cost to just replace all three carbs !
    I called Yamaha customer support ask for advice and was told that from the sound of it the problem is with the low speed area of the carbs and added that it is just a 2 stroke cdi engine it should not take a rocket scientist to fix. Once again they suggested I take it to a another dealer that has **** certified mechanics. Guess what I just got a call from the dealer and was told that we don’t see many old 2 strokes anymore and after a test run it runs like a 2 stroke They shake I explaned that its just came off warranty and I did not think that 2006 was that old as it replaced a 1985 Yamaha 70 2 stoke that ran fine for years and that this one ran fine for three years . I just want it fixed He told me that he would call Yamaha and see if there is a larger jet for this motor I am waiting a reply .
    Has any one run into this problem before and if so how did it end.
    Thanks Chuck

How do your spark plugs look? Maybe bad fuel pump diaphragm causing very rich mixture in bottom cylinder, plug fouling with gas. Plug might be wet with gas and smell like gas. It's worth a look-see. New fuel pump is about $50 and very easy to change. Drain carbs onto a clean white rag to check for water or debris. If they cleaned carbs and your fuel was old or contaminated then it could foul the carb jets again right away. How is your fuel filter? Good Luck and let us know what you find out!

Comment

The plugs all look fine the gas tank is drained every fall we only use ethanol free gas with Yamaha ring free added.
      The pump was checked at the shop and found to be OK. All carbs free from water or debris the filters all replaced this past fall and this spring mybe two weeks ago.
      Thanks will update as new info comes in
      The shop were it is at now is telling me that it may just be one of those things ?
      There are still checking but it dont sound good.

Comment

Are the linkages between the throttle/carbs and the ECU set correctly by the book? If the timing was a bit off around 1500RPM's it could cause the rough running.

Comment

Was problem ever resolved?

I have the same problem.

When the motor transits from idle to slow speed, the engine runs a bit rough until above about 1500 rpm. I did some adjusting to balance the three carbs and it seemed to help a bit. If one cylinder is getting a bit less fuel than the other two, it may run rough.

Also, the cold start circuit stopped working. I did check the electrothermal valve and it works according to the test procedure in the repair manual. Next up would be to rebuild the cold start system built into the middle carb. I know the problem is there because when I use the emergency (red) cold start lever (located on the middle carb), the motor fires right up.

Of course, it is possible that the cold start system is somehow causing the rough running at low RPM (perhaps leaking). I'll post an update when I rebuild the system.

Comment

Working...
          X