2004 HPDI problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 HPDI problems

My 2004 250HPDI has developed problems after 4 years of flawless service. The motor is hard to start, with holding down the start button necessary to finally get it to stay running. Once in gear, there seems to be a knocking or clicking noise coming from the engine until it revs past 2000 rpms. The boat will not get on plane without a buddy on the front and will finally get up. The motor runs strong for a moment until you get to about 3600-3800 rpms and then will bog down and go no higher(about 35 mph).

Once back at the dock, checking the plugs-on the left side of the engine(especially the middle one) fouled with the right side plugs doing a little better. It burns up(or discharges)an incredible amount of fuel ion each run.

I have drained the tanks completely, filled with fresh fuel(no ethanol)use seafoam and checked everything a layman could. Every dealership in a 200 mile radius was backed up with the springtime rush and no one could look at the motor until next week.

I have a BFL and Regional TBF tournament this weekend and need to use the boat. Besides ideas on what's wrong with the motor, will it damage the engine to run it a little in each tournament?
    Last edited by ChuckieC; 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM.

My thoughts are that you will be replacing the power head if you run it like it is.
    It is a sick motor and needs help. If you have filter/ screen problems and running lean will eat it up
    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-07-2010, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Didn't run it

Thanks for the advice. It isn't running lean, if oil consumption is a measure. It used 2 gallons of oil the day it started exhibiting problems. Used the *****ing motor till it died at the weigh-in. Finally got it scheduled for service on Friday.

Comment

Oil and fuel are two different things the oil pump is right off of the crank and as long as there is no restrictions in the filters that will flow as it should regardless of the fuel flow to the cylinders. Fuel can be restricted by multiple screens and filters in the HPDI motors and all it takes is one injector screen restricted to eat a piston or multiple cylinders if all are running lean.
        I hope you have been keeping up with the maintenance as Yamaha recommends

Comment

4 cylinders fouled

I have kept meticulous records and had service perfromed beyond the requirements. The restriction on fuel flow turned out to be a killer for 4 of the cylinders. The yamaha rep approved a powerhead replacement, but would not listen to my protests regarding the fuel flow problems. He stated the whole problem was using "non-equivalent" oil in the engine. I have used Yamalube and Citgo since I bought the motor in '06, but had put some Wallylube in at the tournament site when a local service shop agreed to look at the motor. They advised a shut down and immediate warranty service, which I did the next week. Putting the blame on wallylube seemed a little thin, but at least its scheduled for powerhead replacement. The boat has been in the shop for 18 days and no parts have arrived to date. Is this time line normal for such a fix? Thanks to everyone who commented on the problem to date.

Comment

Working...
          X