1996 Fire/ No Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Fire/ No Fire

Have a 1996 C115 that simply fire when it wants to. No matter what if you try long enough it will fire. I understand and have checked and tested switches,componets and such. My main question is: Is there any other device (tech etc) other than the kill switch that tell the ignition not to fire?This is really odd because all cylinder fire or all cylinder do not fire. I have spent many hours on this and some monies due to the fact when I take the boat in the thing always starts. Techs say they can not fix what is not broken. Go figure.....

Regards

Ignition switch and kill switch are all I can think of. Maybe a short in wiring

You need to measure the peak voltage of the charge coils and pulsar coils going into the CDI and output voltage of the CDI to make sure it is not loosing input when this is happening.
    I believe you can disconnect a wire (not sure of color ) going into the CDI to disable the kill switch and key switch to eliminate them from the equation. But you will need a way to kill it if you start it up with the wire removed.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      Ignition switch and kill switch are all I can think of. Maybe a short in wiring

You need to measure the peak voltage of the charge coils and pulsar coils going into the CDI and output voltage of the CDI to make sure it is not loosing input when this is happening.
      I believe you can disconnect a wire (not sure of color ) going into the CDI to disable the kill switch and key switch to eliminate them from the equation. But you will need a way to kill it if you start it up with the wire removed.
      The main power pack could be at fault !!
      Had almost the same problem to the point where it just refused to start in the finish . The power pack was faulty ,Replaced it 6 months ago and was like i had a new motor !,more power and starts real easy and never missed a beat since .

Comment

Dollars and Sence

I do not see a power pack in the parts list however I do see mighty pricey items on the list. Which one would be the power pack.
        Regards

Comment

You can either test and find the problem or start throwing expensive parts at to see which one is the problem

Comment

Parts

k yam here is the scoop If I test and there is no fire then all the test will fail. Now if I test the part when the motor is firing there is a good chance the test will pass. (correct me if I am wrong) As I mentioned before I have taken the motot to to a repair shop and it fired right up and passed all there test. So do I wait untill the thing completly quits and have to be towed or do I try to fix it before it is dead. Honestly I am at whits end with this thing all I can do is try to do something with people like you who have had some experence with this type of issues. This is more or less an overnight issue one day all is well and one day this stuff happens I do not understand. With that being said what part of the electronics will the power pack be, I will try whatever it takes. I do thank all who respond to thies forum for there input no matter what I deceide to do.

Regards

Comment

I think the name you are looking for is the CDI unit.

If there is a problem with the key switch, kill switch, or wire grounding out going to them, then disconnecting that wire from the CDI will eliminate this. But like I said you will have to hook it back up to be able to shut the motor off.

If it is in the wire or switches, then testing while the problem is happening will show voltage going into the CDI but not coming out to the coils.

If you disconnect the kill wire and you still have no voltage out of the CDI even though there is voltage going in then you Would need to replace the CDI.

If you are loosing voltage going into the CDI or if the reading are below specs, then you need to be looking at the coils that give the inputs.

Comment

[QUOTE=leroy563;42321]Have a 1996 C115 that simply fire when it wants to. No matter what if you try long enough it will fire. I understand and have checked and tested switches,componets and such. My main question is: Is there any other device (tech etc) other than the kill switch that tell the ignition not to fire?This is really odd because all cylinder fire or all cylinder do not fire. I have spent many hours on this and some monies due to the fact when I take the boat in the thing always starts. Techs say they can not fix what is not broken. Go figure.....

Regards
                As a side note I have discovered i am the only person on this forum that has this problem. Yamaha made this motor just for me lol......Just my luck

Regards

Comment

Working...
                X