Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twin 150's no gauges ack!

Hi all,
    Just signed up to get some info. I am looking at a boat that has twin yamaha 4 strokes 150HP. The boat and motors are 2005.

The boat is for sale at a good price, but it is missing 4 guages. They were cut off and stolen. The gauges would be tachs, fuel managment, and speed.

First off, Can the boat be started and sea trialed without the gauges?

Is there a guage kit that includes all these gauges or must I buy 1 at a time?

The cut off wires are reachable and I am sure that I can solder the wires and heat shrink new leads on the wires. I assume there is a harness connector that I need to get to the gauges does this come with the gauge?

I assume the Tachs are rather important as it will reflect other info such as oil and temp. Do I really need the Fuel managment system. Seems like a nice to have but not required.

FWIW I think the original gauges were digital multi function.

Last if someone wants to hazzard a rough guess on a total authorized dealler repair estimate that would be great.

Thanks

Highflier

I am hopefull that I can get some quick answers so that I can trial the boat and begin the efforts of making the boat right and ready to do some serious off shore fishing.
    Last edited by highflier; 02-07-2010, 02:18 PM. Reason: more info

Yes you can run engines without gauges as long as those cut wires are not shorted togather and as long as one of the cut wires is not the main harness between engines and key switch. If the motors have a sticker on side of transom bracket with a manufactured date of 2005 or newer then there are digital gauge kit available. Need to know model amd serial numbers to compile which gauges will work.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Is this the info I need

SYmxm2672ga

or
      64d lf 1002105

There was a 2004 mark on the engine mount. Maybe I was mislead on the year.

It appears there is 3 wire bundles cut, a vacume tube and a red wire.

2 bundles had ~9 wires
      1 bundle looked like 14 or so wires

Highflier

Feel free to quote me a price in PM if you care. a standard replacement or a lower cost option would be nice. I defintely want anything related to safty/warning indicators.

Comment

Gauges

I have for sale Speed gauge and a Fuel management gauge both the round style and was the loom cut before the plugs and it would pay to check if it has fuel sender units befor you purchase anything

Comment

Manufactured date of 2004 would be a 2005 model year, last letter in model number would be "D".
          The new gauge kits will work with the use of an adapter harness on a 2005 model. The kits will include all wire harness needed.

6Y5-85335-10-00(need 2) Adapters
          6YR-W0035-E2-00 Multifunction Tach Kit
          6YR-W0035-F2-00 Multifunction Tach and Speedomter Kit
          6Y5-W0088-64-00 Dual Eng Fuel management Kit
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks,

I love the fact that you can reply with a cart

Does that above list come with like a 15' harness so I rerig it from the motor back or would I be splicing into the old harness.

The fuel sender, I assume I need one for each motor. Not sure where to look for it. I would assume it would in the back of the boat near the motor. I looked at the diagram so I think I would reconize it if I see it. Also I might smell gas and see cut hoses as well as wires?

Sorry for the endless questions.

Oh there is a harness in there that has connetors on both sides. no cuts etc... Looks like it may have been some inter guage harness.

Highflier

PS. Else where I was given the advise to plug the speedo pressure hose before the sea trial so that no salt spray gets blown back into gauge areas.

Comment

The gauge kits come with 23ft harness. The fuel flow sensors for fuel management gauge are usually located at fuel/water separator filters. Not sure what harness you have thats not connected. yes you should plug speedo hose off.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                The gauge kits come with 23ft harness. The fuel flow sensors for fuel management gauge are usually located at fuel/water separator filters. Not sure what harness you have thats not connected. yes you should plug speedo hose off.

I found the fuel sensors.... they are still intact.

Next step is sea trial then I will continue from there

Comment

Hi all,
                  Somebody else recommended that I get a combo gauge for the Fuel/speedo fuel management.

6Y5-W0088-80-00 Yamaha Speedometer/Fuel Meter Kit - Dual Engine $841.43

Thus instead of
                  1 tach
                  1 tach + speedo rig
                  1 fuel managment
                  Aprox $2100

I would need
                  2 tach
                  1 fuel/speedo combo
                  Aprox $1500

It appears that gauge is a lot cheaper and they said I get 100% the same features. Is there any reason that I should not consider this as a option?

Of course I would have to cover the extra hole in the dash. I am sure I can come up with something.

Highflier

Comment

The speed/fuel combo gauge will display total fuel comsumption of both engines but not fuel used on each engine.
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ready to order

I just want to make sure I got it all. I bought the boat. got title and all so now on to fixing it.

I want hte fuel managment and want digital gauges, but am on a limited budget right now so I think the 3 guage setup will be better for me. This Boat has a single tank, I don't see any advantage to the extra gauge.

If I order this do I have everything I need
                      --------------------------------------------------------

Double Check Your Cart Subtotal = $1,427.93
                      Part Name Price Quantity Total
                      Yamaha Yamaha Interface Adapter
                      Part# 6Y5-85335-10-00

$76.50
                      You Save:
                      $25.50 (25%) $76.50
                      Yamaha Yamaha Speedometer/Fuel Meter Kit - Dual Engine
                      Part# 6Y5-W0088-80-00

$841.43
                      You Save:
                      $154.34 (15%) $841.43

Yamaha Yamaha Tachometer Rig Kit
                      Part# 6YR-W0035-E2-00

$255.00
                      You Save:
                      $46.00 (15%) $510.00

Subtotal = $1,427.93

As soon as you say I got it right for this 2005 engine set... I will place the order

Highflier

Comment

Yes that would be what you need for a three gauge set.
                        Regards
                        Boats.net
                        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yes info has been great. I ordered the stuff and received it already. All looks nice. I hopefully will get it all hooked up today. I will report back when done.

Highflier

Comment

Ok, The first installer passed on the job. He could not figure out where the adapter harness went. The wire colors seemed to be different, the the stock wiring which was cut.

The adapter harness does confuse me also. Since it has 3 connectors on it.

2 of them labeled to engine
                            1 labeled to gauge.

It almost seams like I do not need that harness. I would think the tachs would go 1 engine to 1 tach. The fuel managment ment gauges looks pretty basic also.

Anyh advice would be helpfull

Comment

If your motor has ONE square off white colored 4 prong connector then adapter harness is not needed. But if your engine has TWO square off white colored connectors on engine then install adapter harness at engine with engine end of adapter connect to engine harness and gauge end of adapter connected to harness going to gauges. Connect the black wire wire bullet connector on adapter harness to engine block ground.
                              Regards
                              Boats.net
                              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                              X