No announcement yet.

Is there a way to bypass the control unit assembly for a 1985 225hp v6 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to bypass the control unit assembly for a 1985 225hp v6 special

I either need to find a replacement control unit assembly, part# 6G7-85830-13-00 for a 1985 225hp v6 special or find a way to bypass it. I'm becoming aware that it is probably going to be almost impossible to find this part and just as unlikely that it can be successfully bypassed w/out any problems. I'm hoping that I'm wrong.

It cannot be bypassed and cannot be bought new(but,who would want to for the ungodly price of $1,600 ?!!!!).But don't panic;if you're a little patient,they can be found on Ebay or boating websites.I bought an entire ignition system,including flywheel,for $125 off Ebay(for a 220 Excell).I bought another ignition system for a 200 ProV(just to have a spare) for $150 from an ad on Scream and Fly(a high performance boat website).Both were COMPLETE ignition systems including coils,stator,CDI,all relays,flywheel,etc.They are out there,but it's going to take a little looking.
    Good luck.

Comment

This just sucks! My first boat! I bought this boat at the end of this season off a guy who said that the only problem with the motor was overheating. Either thermostats, poppet valves. I took him for his word and figured, 'a good deal and a quick fix'. It turns out its the control unit. Which, I come to find out, this guy knew about all along. No wonder he wanted to get rid of it. I think its going to be damn near impossible to find this part for such a rare old yamaha w/out spending $1600 on a new one that, I believe, isn't even guaranteed to work.

Anyway, the mechanic where I keep my boat says he has it running with the unit bypassed. Though that was just long enough to winterize it. I'm not exactly sure what this control unit assembly does. Please inform me. I was thinking it had something to do with keeping the oil injection mixture right. So I was hoping, maybe, I could pre-mix the gas and hopefully get some life out of the motor. If, so, just how much life?

Comment

I think you are talking about a CDI. It controls the timing and the spark. Best thing to do is get your hands on service manual for it and start trouble shooting to see what is wrong. If there is no or not the proper inputs to the CDI it will not do what it is suppose to do.

Comment

It does control ignition and timing, if it's bypassed it will have fixed timing of about 7 degrees which would be like a fast idle speed, timing would not advance.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Is there anywhere I can go other than Ebay or craig's list to find this part. Some yamaha used part dealer network where I can put a request for this part? Or are there places that I can send it to be fixed?

Comment

Have you looked around already?
              Did you try this site?
              Yamaha Outboard Stators, Switch Boxes, Triggers...

Comment

Thanks for the link but my motor is not even listed. I also don't need the 6G5-85540-12-00 CDI UNIT ASY, I need the 6G7-85830-13-00 CONTROL UNIT ASY which no other motors for that year have. I think its the computer. I've been looking everywhere. Even if I could find the same exact motor, seized or otherwise ruined, just for the computer.
                Last edited by CrazyCarl35; 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Try cdielectronics.com, if you don't see what you need call them and talk to one of their tech's, I'm sure they'll help you out!!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X