Voltage on Kill Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage on Kill Switch

Hello I am new to this forum but have been lurking for a while. I have recently bought a 1996 yamaha 150. The engine worked great on the test drive but started to load up on oil at the lower RPMs. I am thinking maybe the oil pump but wanted to run the boat hard since it has not been ran in a year.
    WEnt to crank to boat the other day and it would not crank. Went through the usual diaganostics and found that I did not have spark on any cylinders.
    I started wondering about the kill switch malfuntionin. I tested and have continuity but no voltage coming from the ignition swith. This was tested inline of the kill switch so I do not think the switch is the problem. I would think that you would need voltage for the kill switch to function properly. Is this the way that the kill switch works.

personally I do not like people lurking around, but looking is OK.

I maybe wrong but, I believe the kill switch normally takes a signal from the CDI to ground to stop spark, but I do not know what the signal voltage is suppose to be.
    Do you have a manual for your motor? It Will have test procedures on troubleshooting the ignition system step by step.

Comment

motor won't shut off

Boat is at the lake and I am 80 miles away right now. Going out in a couple of days and want to solve the problem with both key switch and safety switch not turning off the motor on 1984 40HP ELN Yamaha. I have read some similar problems on this thread which talked about a white wire and the CDI Box. I am not totally stupid, but what/where is the CDI Box? Where does the white wire connect at the motor?

Comment

CDI is number 15 in this diagram Yamaha Outboard Parts 1996 150TLRU ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X