Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exotic question? Saltwater Series Parts Help

Hi folks - glad to be on the forum.

I have a 2003 Salt water Series II (model #L200 FETOX) that runs great, 400 hrs, regulary maintained. On a recent short trip to the yard to get serviced she spluttered at low rpm's and cut off once at the end of the trip. Our mechanic changed the spark plugs, cleaned the carbs, changed the leg oil. On the way back from the yard, the same thing (spluttering a bit). He opened up the cowling and noticed some saltwater spray in the cowling and a hole in the back (see attached photo). It seems like the hole was caused by corrosion (?-we flush every time). There may have been some water pooling at the bottom of the cowling.

I am no mechanic, but obviously this hole is connected to the water cooling passage/exhaust that comes up from the leg of the engine. We carefully and very thoroughly cleaned the engine and let it dry.

Here are my issues. I live in the caribbean. While the weather is beautiful here and the rum is fine....it is really challenging to get parts help (yes, even from our dealer). The engine is a Saltwater Series model not made for the US market, and therefore it may be difficult for us to get parts shipped. My mechanic is a nice guy but not a super tech.

1. Can anyone identify the name, or part number, that I need?
    2. I looked around for the part. There are manuals (pdf's) on the Yamaha USA site, but will US Saltwater equivalent - I think it is SX200TXRB (2003) - will be the same for my engine?

Many thanks for any tips/help.
    SurfPath
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SurfPath; 11-17-2009, 06:55 PM. Reason: more applicable title

The closest match I seen to a US model was a 1999 L200TXRX, from that point on it was a fuel injected model.
    Number 10 in this diagram I believe is the part that you want Yamaha Outboard Parts 1999 L200TXRX UPPER CASING Diagram

Last edited by boats.net; 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

On the right track

Many thanks for the link. Yes, the 2003 FETOX isn't fuel injected.

I'll take a closer look at the hole today and see where exactly which part(s) the corrosion has affected. Cheers.

Comment

Maybe you can plug that hole with some JB Weld then drill a small 1/8" hole in that area to allow that salt water to drain out? Just a thought. Good Luck!

Comment

Patch job?

OK,
          Thanks to Boats.net we can probably source the required part. However, we need to take the powerhead off the engine in order to remove and accurately identify the corroded part.

We have a local mechanic who is willing to do this at the dock (lifting the boat at the yard again is another expense). However we're also concerned that a powerhead removal could result in additional headaches (bolts shearing, parts dropping into the water, etc).

Any additional thoughts about the patch job that Robert kindly suggests*. We can machine a stainless patch to cover the floor of this cupped' area and use a sealant such as JB Weld, or 3M 5200(?).

Do you think this patch would work? Using a dentistry analogy, do we need a 'root canal' or would a 'filling' do the trick?

*I'm not sure about drilling a small hole, though, as I don't think there is meant to be any passage of salt water in to or out of the exhaust from the cowling area.

Comment

Going ahead

Quick update: We are going ahead with the patch.

After speaking with a few Yamaha parts folks we are going ahead with the patch repair. Upon detailed inspection it seems like the corrosion only affected a small area. A Yamaha dealer in the UK told us that we'd be mad to take off the powerhead for just that. I'll try to post back later on how it went. Thanks for the contributions.
            SurfPath.

Comment

Dental 'filling' - feedback

My cousin sized a piece of 1/4 inch white poly (cutting board) material to fit over the area surrounding the small hole and used some type of epoxy to seal it in.

So far it seems to work fine. No salt water intrusion. No need to take the powerhead off. Will keep an eye on it.

Comment

Update - several months later

Well, so far the patch has worked. Although, we have been gentle on the engine. Perhaps only five to six hour-long runs since my last post. No water intrusion. I am worried that a part like this would get corroded.

We'll keep a close eye on it.

Comment

Working...
                X