cold start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold start problem

I have a 2000 70hp yamaha that is very difficult to start...In fact, to get it started most times I need to open the manual choke lever...once started and primed the motor will run great all day with easy restarts. It seems like this problem has gotten worse over the last year. The other day I switched gas tanks and the motor stalled. It lost its prime and was very difficult to restart. In the last 1 1/2 years I have had to replace the fuel diaphram on starter primer assembly three times because of rupture..I have already completely replaced the fuel line and installed a new primer bulb...fuel pump was also replaced recently. The carburetors have also been taken apart and cleaned. Still having the same cold start problem...It seems as though intially the carburetors are starving for fuel even though they are full..but once motor is geared in forward or reverse prime picks up and engine runs fine. Don't know what else to do.. Could I have a bad primer starter assembly?

I'm guessing Battery...maybe 12 volts but no amperage.

Test and Replace

Let us know what the fix was.

Cheers !!!!

Comment

1st off, do you have a motor with the Prime Start System or a choke? it only comes with one or the other.
      2nd is if it is a prime start, do you follow the owners manual on the proper way to start the motor? lifting the fast idle lever will cancel the prime start.
      3rd does the motor lean sneeze or back fire? that will kill the diaphragms.
      Do a search and read up on the prime start System and make sure your carbs are good and clean, that includes the passages in the prime start System.

Comment

Working...
      X