? Shift linkage on 91' Pro V 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? Shift linkage on 91' Pro V 150

When dropping the lower untit on the 150, is the shift linkage spline or is there a disconnect?
    Also, what is the recommendaed torque for the lower unit bolts on the housing?

Thanks

you can just drop it down ,no connections,remember to put both in neutral after workin on it and inspect the shaft a few inches above the lower unit to see if its rusted out if not replaced by stainless steel. and recommended torque, im not sure i know ive never broken a lower unit bolt installing and i really crank`em but be sure to use the gold colored never-seize for next time.

Comment

Turtle,
      My Yamaha shop manual says 29 ft-lbs on the lower unit bolts. That's for a 2000 C115. Yours should be the same. If you are going to do your own maintenance, you really should get a Yamaha shop manual for your particular engine.
      The shift rod is splined and will just separate from its housing when you drop the lower unit. Like JB said, make sure the remote shift is in neutral, and when you stab back the lower unit, make sure the shift rod is still in neutral. Grab the prop shaft - you should be able to turn it without the drive shaft turning.
      You will need to remove the prop and the trim tab first. There will probably be one of seven lower unit bolts under the trim tab. Then disconnect the speedo hose from its connector - when you drop the lower unit, make sure the speedo hose feeds thru the housing.
      When you stab the lower unit, it really helps if you have someone to line everything up for you.
      The speedo hose goes first. Then make sure the shift rod is lined up, and the water pump tube. All of this takes place the last few inches of travel - that's why its best to have someone standing up holding the lower unit and a second person down at eye level lining everything up. You will probably have to tilt the motor up at around 30 degrees for ground clearance.
      The book calls for Loctite 572 thread sealer (which I could not find) - I use Permatex 14A thread sealer with Teflon.
      Check the drive shaft for corrosion also. Apply a thin film of marine grease to the splines.
      If you are doing a water pump repair, apply marine greas to the impeller also.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks -

Comment

Working...
        X