Rigging the New Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging the New Motor

Today is the day for arrival of my parts ordered last weekend, 703 control box, cables and end fittings, Multifunction gages, and my service manual. Motor is a 2006 Yamaha T60 TLR 4 stroke high thrust that I picked up for a song. Motor was bought by a manufacturer to test his prototype of a high end pontoon boat. Due to the economy and health he has had to shut the project down and is selling off both motors. They had made it to the lake only once and the Hobbs meter (hour meter) showed only about 1 hour. They had cranked the engines every 2-3 months over the development period which started in December 2007, ~22 months ago. I got to know the guy over the last 2 weeks and feel that I am getting basically a new motor that I will have to go through the 10 hour break in. The marine dealer that sold him the engines is in the process of filing for the full warranty in my name so I felt that was a real plus. There are no scratches or blemishes on the entire motor.

I am installing and rigging the unit on a 24" Landau pontoon boat which I had a 60 Johnson on. New controls etc. because all of the sellers cables were super long to fit his 43 foot long boat with the cabin way out front and he also had hydraulic steering on the motors.

Now that you have the background my question is should I take the boat and installed motor in to a dealer for service as soon as I complete the installation. Let him go through my installation, change oil, check out the performance of the motor etc just to establish a baseline for my warranty and look over my installation. Hate to pay the $90/ hour but feel it may be an insurance policy for me.

What do guys think? I plan on doing my own maintenance in the future and have the shop and tools and skills necessary. I have decided that no matter who does it I will change the motor oil and check the lower unit for water before taking it to the lake no matter who does it. What do you guys normally pay for an oil change? Cabela's is my closest Yamaha service center. I believe that the bulk of their business there is new stuff they sell and the customers bring it back to them. No other reference as to their capabilities. Talked to the shop foreman the other day and he seemed to be well versed in the motor.

The other question is what oil to use. I know Yamaha recommends theirs strongly which is to be expected. No problem with that but I didn't see any on the dealer's shelf the other day. It could be back in the parts department and I will ask today if they stock it. Also read adv for the ring free additive. Should I use either or both of these Yamaha products or is there another oil/additive that I should or could use.

I bought a water separator last night so will install that also to help ward off the ethanol buggers. Also got new fuel line/pump and gas tank.

Please help me out by holding my hand a little. I would appreciate your expert opinions. Have I thought of everything at this stage?

Thanks, Jayboy70

PS There is another identical motor that is still for sale in North Central Texas by Mike. If anyone is interested send me a private message and I'll give you info on how to contact him. He is having the marine dealer go ahead and register the warranty now as a selling point.

Yamaha warranty registration does require a pre delivery inspection by the dealer, contact the dealer doing the warranty registration about it.
    The owners manual list oil requirements, if you don't have the manual go to Yamaha's web site www.yamaha-motor.com and view the manual online. The manual has lot of information useful to set up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X