T8 runs rough at one point in the throttle range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T8 runs rough at one point in the throttle range

I have a 2008 T8 kicker that is giving me a headache. I am looking for advice. I use it for *****ing speeds ranging from 1.0 to 3.5 mph.

With my boat, I have a throttle range that if I slowly (I mean really slowly) adjust it upward toward (1.85-2.13mph), the engine will stutter and die.

Also, If I approach this throttle range slowly from the top side, it will run high for a little while (~1 minute) and then settle down at the slower 1.85 mph *****ing speed.

I have thrown a drift sock to get my engine out of this finicky throttle range, but that throws off my boat control terribly in waves and is not a long term solution.

Where should I start? Plugs? carb clean? I run only the non-oxegenated fuel (I live in MN where it is mandated most everywhere.)

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Craig

Check the linkage to your CDI unit. If there is slack present the timing will not advance or retard properly.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am confused by your posting. I can't seem to find a linkage going from the starboard side to the port side of the motor (where the CDI is). Can you elaborate on what I should be looking for (based on my apparent lack of knowledge)?

Thanks,
      Craig

Comment

Hard to say but would probably start with carb cleaning to be able to rule out fuel problem.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X