trim pump rams below water line? 2001 150 HPDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim pump rams below water line? 2001 150 HPDI

the trim pump rams are below water line (salt water) on my boat. what damage or problems can i expect. most of the other boats i see have the ram and its housing completely above the water line. the pump is about 1 " above the water.

as long as the trim motor its self is out of the water i think you will be ok but if that motor is under water the i would expect to replace it about once every 6 months. even though they are "sealed" i have found they still get water in them. watch for the unit to start working slower and slower until alll you get is a clicking noise from the solenoids. trim motor prices run as follows per this website. oem is between $550-$600 after market is around $200 personally i think the oem motors are worth the extra price.

Comment

the trim pump mating surface sits about 1" above the water line, but the rams just poke out of the water when the out drive is up. I'll check/replace the anodes again to prevent corrosion. i've already replaced a trim pump because of water submersion. this motor is on a 1984 wellcraft center console fisherman.

Comment

years ago I started spraying the trim pump/rams/entire area with the Yamaha Corrosion Protectant Grease, which is pretty thick and sticky and stays on all the metal surfaces real well. maybe another kind of spray-on lithium grease type product might also work. you need to clean and dry the area real well before you spray it. this seems to really stay on the metal surfaces well and give a level of protection. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X