No announcement yet.

Do I need to prime the remote oil pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to prime the remote oil pump?

I just installed a new filter and pump on a remote oil tank for a 1996 250 VX. When I use the emergency toggle switch it turns the remote pump on but there is no oil pumping in the engine oil tank. Do I need to crank the engine to help prime. The remote tank is full of oil. I completely cleaned the tank out of the boat and put new oil back in.

Thanks for your replys

mark

Don't need to run motor...

You don't need to run the motor, that won't do anything. Just take the cap off the primary reservoir so there's no air pressure resistance and run the pump with the emergency toggle switch like you were doing. Takes a few seconds but you should see oil pumping up pretty quick. If you don't, try pulling oil up through the feeder hose using a syringe pump to suck it up. But really the reserve tank pump should have no problem sending oil up the line. Sometimes if there's a lot of air in the primary reservoir (the one under the hood...) it creates too much back pressure and the oil won't feed.

- Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTillman View Post
      I just installed a new filter and pump on a remote oil tank for a 1996 250 VX. When I use the emergency toggle switch it turns the remote pump on but there is no oil pumping in the engine oil tank. Do I need to crank the engine to help prime. The remote tank is full of oil. I completely cleaned the tank out of the boat and put new oil back in.

Thanks for your replys

mark
      Mark, I'm having the same problem. Did you ever get the problem fixed?

Comment

DO NOT repeat DO NOT remove the switch assy from the engine tank.
        not even nessasary as the tank is vented.
        yes sometimes it takes a bit to see the oil.
        as long as the remote tank is over about 1/2 full its self primng but occasionally takes a bit.
        turn the key on,engine off and hold the toggle, it will flow as long as you hooked up the bullet connectors in the correct polarity and the input and output lines on the pump are correctly routed.
        for Yamaha we call the engine tank the engine tank.
        the tank in the hull is called a remote tank.
        helps keep the confusion down.

Comment

Working...
        X