TACH GUAGE DIGITAL DISPLAY GONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TACH GUAGE DIGITAL DISPLAY GONE

I have twin 2001 250 hp OX66 Yamaha outboards with the digital fuel management system gauges.
    Both the digital TACH gauges are illegible and that is probably due to sun exposure. But both the digital SPEED gauge and the FUEL MANAGEMENT gauge are perfect, so it appears to me that the condition exists solely with the TACH gauges as being a product problem. Does someone have a repair suggestion, other than spending $700 to $800 in parts to replace the two gauges. I have other YAMAHA products of the same age with digital gauges that have had no problems. I called my local dealer and they said all they could do would be to replace them at my expense.

You can order a 1 gauge kit (6YR-W0035-E1-00 Multifuntion tach kit) cheaper than ordering the gauge and it comes with everything needed to install. You will need 2 kits for twin engine's. The sun will do that, A console cover will help to preserve instruments from sun and rain.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Agreed, a console cover will help prevent excessive wear. But why only the TACH gauges being affected? You might think all the gauges would be affected especially since they are all side-by-side. I know people with the same gauges a couple of years older that are left exposed to the sun and they have had no problems.
      I know I can buy the gauges new, I was hoping someone knew a repair facility that could repair the ones I have more economically, instead of going thru the expense of replacement. If anyone knows who manufactures the gauges, then I could contact the MFG. Co. to see if they can repair them. I called Yamaha Customer Service, and as usual they were no help. They could not provide any info. I will have to take that into consideration the next time I purchase a Yamaha boat, motors and jetskis.

Comment

all the gauges will go out eventually but in my opinion,still the nicest on the market

Comment

Has anyone found a gauge repair shop?

I have the same problems with both of my tachs (and only the tachs). I know you can replace lcd screen rather inexpensive for computers, it's just a matter of finding a repair shop that can purchase the right lcs and seal the gauges after the repair. Has anyone come up with a solution other than purchasing new gauges?

Comment

digital tach.

I have a four strokes 50 h.p. yamaha outbord f50tlrb model 2003
            and some body give as a present a digital tach. 6y5-2818r-30
            do any body knows if this tach. work. with my engine?
            and if it works what kind of harness do I have to bay
            tanks for your answer

Comment

Originally posted by ergo View Post
              I have a four strokes 50 h.p. yamaha outbord f50tlrb model 2003
              and some body give as a present a digital tach. 6y5-2818r-30
              do any body knows if this tach. work. with my engine?
              and if it works what kind of harness do I have to bay
              tanks for your answer
              Not sure I can't find that part number. You would need Trim/Oil harness number 68F-82553-90-00 and gauge harness 6Y5-83553-N0-00 to install it.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Does the 6yr-w0035-e1-00 multifunction tach kit contain the lens for the unit?

Comment

That kit is no longer available but it would have had the lens in gauges.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The LED's on my two 6Y5-2818R-30 gauges are sun-washed out. I am looking for either original replacements or other replacements with a conversion kit. I would appreciate any help. thanks, Strummer

Comment

Will the engine hours on an existing gauge be displayed on a new gauge 6YR-W0035-E1-00 after being hooked up or will they default back to zero? If so, can the gauge be updated with the current hours on the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Skipmeister View Post
                        Will the engine hours on an existing gauge be displayed on a new gauge 6YR-W0035-E1-00 after being hooked up NO or will they default back to zero YES? If so, can the gauge be updated with the current hours on the engine YES?
                        See comments above.

Comment

To update the hours meter, you'd have to power up just that part of the meter and let it run x # of hours until you hit that hour your trying to match.

I suppose you could leave the key on (not running), that I believe would register but the rest of the engine/system is energized... I believe its 12 volts but not positive (no pun intended).

I'd just power up the gauge to a battery and let it sit several days ticking up the hours...
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                          X