blowing rectifiers, charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blowing rectifiers, charging problem

Hey guys I got a 2005 90 four stroke that I bought as a fishing camp return, and that is probaly my first problem. Anyways my motor isnt charging. A dealer tested my rectifier and said it was blown. I replaced the rectifier (281$can), started the engine and it charged for about 20 seconds(14.2v) then poof.(12.18v). The digital multi-function tach works but the trim is way off and sometimes the oil pressure flasher blinks. Any ideas what is causing this as I dont like spending that much money for 20 seconds of charging or getting stranded in the ocean. Thanks for the help.

Make sure battery cable are clean and tight. Check all engine grounds and look for any shorted wires.
    The trim cam (black plastic clamp looking piece on tilt tube) may be broken causing reading error on trim gauge.
    Need to have oil pressure checked.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Make sure battery cable are clean and tight. Check all engine grounds and look for any shorted wires.
      The trim cam (black plastic clamp looking piece on tilt tube) may be broken causing reading error on trim gauge.
      Need to have oil pressure checked.
      Hey boats.net All battery cables are clean and tight. Whats the best way to check for shorted wires? The trim cam is not broken as it moves freely. Could a shorted wire cause a tach malfunction?

Comment

Look for chaffed or burnt wires on engine. The trim cam should not move it clamps to tilt tube, the trim sender lever does move, it's moved by stop on trim cam.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X