cdi unit 1994 225txrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdi unit 1994 225txrs

Does anyone know what the history of cdi units going bad is? and when they do go will the motor even run or maybe just run like crap. Did carbs, H2o pump,one head gasket, 115 lbs. all around,fuel is new also lines and new filters, and one new fuel pump that was iffy,also checked sensors with meter all seemed to be within range. Book says common prob is TPS going bad will screw with timing and could look and sound like carb issue, tps ohms were just at 4K at both ends book says 4-6K normal, is borderline enough to replace? checked volts through throttle, got .50 vdc to 4.24 vdc wide open, grounds seem good even checked volts at cdi, no broken wires. i know that on a car that's a working tps. don't have a graph to look for flat spots in voltage, thinking about just swaping it out to try, can't get it to run for any real length of time, except ran good in driveway for 1/2 hr. then in water did not want to run took it just off ramp, no power sputter and poping like a miss or pre-ign. spark is good. stuck???? thanks in advance.

I could be way off here, but I was told as a general rule of thumb on outboards that if you suspect the cdi, usually the tach quits working with it..?

Comment

runs good on hose and not under load sounds like carbs to me
      Last edited by jb123; 06-02-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

thanks for the reply the tach works. Yea, i know it's a long shot but i have had cars with bad computers and they still run,all be it, not well. just trying to rule out electronics everyone says yamaha's are bullet proof, mines acting like it's been on a bender drinking 80 proof

Comment

maybe i'll take them apart again, thought i did a good job , been told the low/med idle jets under float is the culprit on these carbs. makes me want my i/o v-8 back not as bothered by etoh in fuel. but, that ain't hapnin.

Comment

Working...
          X