1999 Yamaha 250 OX66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha 250 OX66

I just did a major overhaul on my boat, stringers and things, now that my boat is hooked up, I am noticing the motor isn't running the same as it was before.

When I tore it apart, we broke the bracket on the shifter because the bolts were frozen in it. The motor never came off of the boat and all the cables to the motor stayed intact. My buddy who works on outboard motors, had a like new Suzuki shifter, it had all the same markings as the Yamaha shifter not too mention it looked exactly alike.

I used to turn the key and get a beep beep sound, I don't get that anymore?

Also, now if I ease into the throttle, the motor boggs all the way to 2900 RPM's, at 3000 it hauls ass all the way up to 5500.

My mechanic told me that the motor is supposed to run on 4 cylinders up to 1800 rpms but it seems mine is now running on 4 cylinders all the way up until 3000 rpm's.

We changed the throttle control sensor to see if when the flaps were opening they weren't activating the throttle control sensor but this did nothing.

Is there any adjustment to make the motor kick in all 6 cylinders earlier than 3000 rpm's.

Make sure shift cable is adjusted properly at engine when in neutral and check shift switch thats just below the cable.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Make sure shift cable is adjusted properly at engine when in neutral and check shift switch thats just below the cable.
      What shift switch are you talking about? I did loosen up the boot in the front of the motor when I was hooking everything up. Could I have messed something up by doing that?

Comment

to check if your buzzer works simply hook 12v and a ground to the leads.

he is saying there is a shift switch on your motor, at/under cable connections that may be loose.

i would try running motor with cables UNhooked... see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Fixed, finally.

Problem, shifter position arm not pulled in enough. Adjusted cables tighter, problem solved. Boat running great.

Beep beep sound not happening yet. The buzzer does work, I already checked that but I just don't get that system check sound when I turn the key.

Comment

Working...
          X