Water pickup tube for digital speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pickup tube for digital speedometer

Hi - I've got twin 1999 250 saltwater series. My speed read out is 0MPH which means either I have a disconnect/kink/or salt blockage.

My problem is that my boat is in the water and water temp is 44degrees.

Is there any way to visually inspect or diagnose the pickup tube location from on the boat. Both engines have a tube coming up but I can not locate where on the housing it is picking up the water. If I could locate it I could try and insert a drillbit to clean it out.

Any advice or even better a picture showing where the pickup is located?

My service manual does not cover this anywhere in the lower unit section.

Also - would both engines be feeding the digital unit or just one?

Ed

its about halfway down from cavitation plate, on the leading edge of your lower unit...most likely right at the waterline with motors tilted up. if one is clogged try the other motor.

Comment

Thanks,

Does leading edge mean right where it cuts the water at the front of the lower unit, or do you mean on the side somwhere?

I think I what looks like should be a hole for water to come in on the port side of the engine below the cav plate. It's really awkward to get at though while hanging over the transom of the boat. Even from the dinghy it's tough.

Ed

Comment

Yes it's a small hole(about 1/16 diameter) in front edge of gearcase. Sometimes there will be a splice in speedo hose where hose comes out of engine cowling. You may to blow through hose with about 30 psi air to clear pickup, if use too much air pressure it can pop hose off nipple in lower unit then you would have remove lower unit to put hose back on.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks - I will have a look on the weekend.
          Ed

Comment

Working...
          X