Interesting 25hp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting 25hp problem

I'm considering buying this motor if I can fix it. My friend has a '99 25hp 4 stroke Yamaha tiller that he is having problems with-fairly unused, he left it sitting for a winter, had to clean out the carb to get it to start. it still wouldn't run well, so he sat there and sprayed ether into it to keep it running for about a half hour (thinking it would clean the carb I guess) , he finally broke down and bought a carb kit, new plugs, it still cuts out and idles crappy as with the first cleaning-he's tired of it, I can get it cheap if i think i can fix it. looks like when idleing, small bit of gray smoke coming out steadily out the exhaust (I thought it should be clear on a good 4 stroke). any chance the ether could have damaged it, that's my big concern...any suggestions?

compression test it.

Comment

boelen,
      That grey smoke coming out the exhaust could be a sign of something serious on that 4-stroke. I think I would take it to a trusted mechanic and let him go thru it thoroughly. You could have cracked rings or worse. He will definitely do a compression test. If you do not know of a good mechanic, I would do a little research and get some references on one near you.
      Good luck,
      Ken K
      Beaumont,TX

Comment

Working...
      X