1998 200 HP saltwater series won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 200 HP saltwater series won't idle

My motor was running fine and now it won't stay running unless I keep bumping the choke. I thought it may have been trash in the carbs and would have cleared up by now but it hasn't. I have new fuel and new spark plugs. If I hit the choke the motor will run for a few seconds and shut off unless I hit the choke again. The fuel bulb pumps up ok. I cleaned the gas filter strainer too. Any ideas. Could it be some kind of interlock keeping it from running? Please help again....
    thanks,
    Barry

clean carbs.

Comment

What causes the carbs to fowl so easily and is it a fairly easy job to clean the carbs? thanks for your help..

Barry

Comment

Run 'em ....

The Yamaha carbs have a tendency to clog the idle jets if the motors are not run every few weeks at a minimum. You have to pull the bowls off to get to the idle jet circuitry in those motors. Do you have a service manual for the motors?

- Mike

Comment

1998 200 Yamaha won't idle

I don't have a manual yet but I did do what one of the post suggested. I removed the adjustment screw and the bowl nut on the carbs and blew air through the adjustment screw. I put everything back together and running fine.. Oh I made sure I counted the turns on each adjustment screw before removing them and wrote it down......

thanks for all the help and I hope this information helps someone else.
          Barry

Comment

Thanks, I did and all is good...

Barry

Comment

Working...
            X