Carb Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaning

How Hard Of A Job To Clean Carbs On 150hp There Is 3. Do They Have To Be Syncronized After. Is This Something I Can Tackle. Or Should I Bring It Some Were. Is It As Simple As Removing Bowls And Cleaning.
    THANKS
    MIKE

With a service manual to help, it's easily done.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

what type of service manual is it that everyone likes on here, the ones yamaha sells on their website or one like the clymer books.

Comment

I just did the 3 carbs on my 1986 150 last week. It was actually pretty easy. Just do one at a time. You can use the others for reference if you forget how to reassemble. It is not hard though.

Comment

Once a year I blow out my carbs.

Take off your air box, then get a pad and pencil. Start on the left or right side and turn the needle srews in gently while counting rotations. Write down the number of turns and like 1 o'clock etc , position. Now remove the screw. Now remove the bowl nut, I think its an 11MM. A little fuel will run out. Now I take a blow nozzel hooked to compressed air and blow into needle screw hole. Be careful, fuel and air will shoot out the front of the carb. After a few seconds of that, I put the bowl nut back in, then gently turn the needle screw all the way in, and refer to your pad of paper to the number of turns and resting position, and back it out accordingly. I do this ant time I get a rough idle. It takes less than 1/2 hour. She purrs like a kitten, after every time I do this. I have never needed to take it to a shop in 10 years and 800 hrs. S150TXRX

Comment

I saw your info just after I have cleaned my carbs. I have a 1991 225 and I did everything you described with the difference that I went a little too far forward
            I had disassembled the lower body from the upper body and was able to clean it thoughtfully and sprayed it with carb cleaner ( I used gumout carb cleaner), took all jets and spray them with carb cleaner as well. I did one side at a time; I did not see any gum or similar from the firs carb but I kept going with the others to have them clean while the winter.
            On the needle I found that not only counting the rotation on each helps but also I had measure (with a tape measure) the distance from base to head.

I have a quik question, now that carbs are cleaned should I re-spray fogging oil into them or with the carb cleaner should be fine for the winter?

I'm a rookie to the outboard scene but I love and enjoy doing this stuff andthis site have been a great help in every step I had made so far!!

Comment

Drain the carbs of all gas before storing for winter and you can spray fogging oil in bowl of carb, it may be a little hard to start and smoke some when you start up in spring but thats better than gummed up carbs.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Boats.net; YES, I have not sprayed fogging oil on them, instead I sprayed carb cleaner on all bowls and re-installed all carbs! but I was wondering how hard is going to be to start up the engine back again next spring
                Thanks once again for all the Help and tips, with I was able to maintain and prepare my engine for the winter! Thanks a Lot!

Comment

Needle screws

Originally posted by aluxury1 View Post
                  Take off your air box, then get a pad and pencil. Start on the left or right side and turn the needle srews in gently while counting rotations. Write down the number of turns and like 1 o'clock etc , position. Now remove the screw. Now remove the bowl nut, I think its an 11MM. A little fuel will run out. Now I take a blow nozzel hooked to compressed air and blow into needle screw hole. Be careful, fuel and air will shoot out the front of the carb. After a few seconds of that, I put the bowl nut back in, then gently turn the needle screw all the way in, and refer to your pad of paper to the number of turns and resting position, and back it out accordingly. I do this ant time I get a rough idle. It takes less than 1/2 hour. She purrs like a kitten, after every time I do this. I have never needed to take it to a shop in 10 years and 800 hrs. S150TXRX
                  Sorry to ask a dumb question, but which needle screws are you talking about?

Comment

Thanks! I really feel that that video is a big improvement to my other video **** videos. The other ones seemed to drag on too much both in length and pacing. I think I'm getting closer to the formula I need to achieve for my videos but I still need as much feedbacks as possible to reach that point.
                    [url=http://simulateurdepret.org]Taux simulation de prets immo bancaire | [/url][url=http://simulateurdepret.org]Credit simulateur de pret personnel | [/url][url=http://simulateurdepret.org]Simulateur de pret immobilier gratuit[/url]

Comment

Working...
                    X