Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C85 overheating....

First of all, Hello-

My name is Tommy, and I live in Fort Lauderdale, specifically Wilton Manors.

I recently bought a 16 foot Larson All American 160 from a neighbor, and it came with a Yamaha C85 outboard. With the trailer, the whole 1996 package was $1800, dirt cheap. I bought this boat because I wasn't sure how the significant other would deal with a boat. It has been a big success so far-

The C85 with this boat tends to overheat. If you run it over 3000 rpm for more than 5 minutes the overheat siren comes on, and if you fire-wall it, it takes about a minute for it to come on. I figured the head gasket was blown, since the PO [previous owner] was a total boat-guy and he had changed the impellor. The engine still overheated, and I decided to change the thermostat, which was the other part that the PO told me that he changed out. Well, the motor overheated with the new thermostat, so I removed it all together. I checked the overheat sensor by putting it in a pan on the stove and heating it up while it was hooked up to my mutitester, with the setting to the OHMs setting that causes a peep. It came on a little late, but certainly within the range: The engine is getting hot.

We pulled the head and HOLY BEN-WA balls BATMAN! This thing was FULL of crud! Orange-white crud, I used a coat hanger to remove most of it. I think I probably removed about 1/3 of a pound of this stuff from the tiny cooling jackets around the cylinder, and the ports to the water jacket that surrounds the spark plug were nearly plugged completely. The crap I pulled out of the engine I just kind of flung into the canal behind my house, but I have to tell you...I probably should have used a newspaper to scrape them off and put them in the garbage, they were really foul!

I suspect my C85 is full of crud. Anyone have an idea how I can remove all the crap from this engine other than the use of 1400 nylon scouring pads and twice that many hours of time?

T!

Also need to remove exhaust plate and clean water passages in there as well, check exhaust plate and cylinder head for holes corroded through into water jacket.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Flush

Flush it regularly with SALT AWAY andyou\should be OK

Comment

Working...
      X