C40TLRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C40TLRA

I have a 2002 Yamaha C40TLRA and shortly after the warranty ran out i started having problems. The motor runs fine on top end but when its at idle it jumps timing and revs up and down. This also occurs a little past idle but once it gets up in rpms it purs like a kitten. I took it to a local shop and they checked fuel, cleaned carbs, and checked control linkage. The final answer i got is that its the CDI and thats all it could be. Just wanted to see if i could get some more info before i dump this kind of money into the motor. Thanks

If the CDI is changing the timming The dealer should have benn able to verify it with a timming light as it it changing RPM's.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

He said it was running fine and all of a sudden the timing changes from 30 to 6 and back to 30. Im not exactly sure about those numbers but when looking at the timing it changes while running. He said the it was the cdi or the stator but the cdi ohms out fine when he takes it off. Does this sound right? I just dont want to buy a CDI if it could be something else. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Yes the CDI controls the timming on that engine, unless it is losing elect. power from the battery or the charge coils under the flywheel then the CDI is bad.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The problem that you are having sounds a lot simular to the one I am having with my 1999 tlrx 40 hp. I have a message posted on April 5/05. It explains the things I did to try and correct the problem. I to believe the CDI is defective on my engine. If you replaced your CDI or received any additional info I would appreciate knowong it. Thank You for any Info. Paul

Comment

Working...
          X