2004 2stroke 40HP - Carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 2stroke 40HP - Carb problems

Recently picked up this motor, runs great on the hose, but when it is under a load it stalls out then wont start for about 15 minutes (acts like it is flooded).

Have replaced the fuel hose from the primer bulb to the motor because it was crystallized in side, then cleaned the fuel filter and replaced gas in tank with new gas. I took the hose off of the fuel pump that goes to the carbs, pumped the primer and plenty of fuel move through the pump. After all this, motor still stalled under a load while trying to accelerate.
    Next I cleaned the carbs. While cleaning the carbs, I noticed that the pilot screw on the middle carb was only out 1/2 a turn while the other two were out between 1.5 and 1.75 turns. Haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet.
    Would the pilot screw adjustment have been enough to cause the engine to stall upon acceleration under a load?
    Also, is the correct setting for all three carbs, 1 1/2 turns out?

Thanks

1 1/2 is the correct setting. It could cause a hesitation.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Fixed

Well I tested the motor this evening and I guess the cleaning and adjustment fixed the problem. All are set to 1.5 turns.

Thanks

Comment

Normal?

After thinking about it, the motor didnt quite wrapp up like my old 1993 evinrude did. The old two stroke used to wrapp up real high at WOT, this motor isn't near as loud. It almost makes me think that it isn't opening up all of the way?
        Are these newer 2 strokes just more refined than the older models? It was pushing my 16ft centerconsole skiff around 28mph.

Comment

Check rpm's may have too much pitch in prop. Should run between 4500-5500 rpm's.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Pitch

Really appreciate your assistance. I am assuming that the previous owner changed the prop since it is stainless. I will call the yami dealer and see if I can get a stock aluminum to see if that changes it.

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Power tilt/trim

My motor makes a very slight screech at one point while tilting up or down. No noise in the trim, seems to be only in tilt. I have read comments about puting greas on the "ram" or on the "rods" but I am not 100% sure what they mean. Do the mean apply a little greas to the silver rod which actually lifts and lowers the motor? Wouldn't it be sealed and have lubrication inside, like forks on a motorcycle?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

If your motor has the two short trim rams(some engines only has 1 ram others have 3) , put greases on end of ram where it would come in contact with bracket.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Boats.net, I really appriciate all of your help.

When you say where RAM contacts bracket, do you mean on the silver shaft that slides in and out of what looks like a cylinder? If that is the ram then it only has one.

Also, do you know where I can get a service manual? The only ones that I have found only go up to 2003 models, need one for an 04.

Thanks again.

Comment

Yours only has 1 cylinder so the greasing wouln't apply to your motor. You can get service manual at www.yamaha-motor.com
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have the same motor with the same problem. Can anyone post a picture of the carbs? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X