low speed stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low speed stall

I have a 2001 fuel injected 200hp 2 stroke. It has been sitting for a couple of months. It has been run during that time but only at the house, not under load. I took it out, the other day, and it would start immediately but stall when put into gear. I finally got it to run, in gear, and was able to open it up. It ran great. But when backed down it would stall after running about a minute at 700 rpms. I could get it started again and take it to any speed above 1000 rpms and it would be great. Back to idle speed, it would die.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Randy

Start with the basics, spark plugs, fuel filters and fresh fuel.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok. new plugs, new fuel, new fuel filters, under cowling and water seperator in boat. Still does the same. It will run for about a minute or 2, while in neutral, at anywhere under 800 rpms. Then just shut off. In order to restart I have to raise the throttle and choke the engine. It now seems to run great when it will idle at 800 rpms. I am able to put it right into gear with no problems. When the idle drops to around 600rpms it acts like it is starving for gas, then stalls out. Is it possible that the injector(s) are dirty or gummed up? can this be corrected with injector cleaner and lots of run time?
      this is an OX66 fuel injected (TBI) saltwater series 2001 model year.

help help help
      Last edited by 22angler; 04-02-2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

how about a good yamaha repair shop in the orlando area. +/- 50 miles.

Comment

I don't know any dealers in your area, we are about 100 miles south of Orlando. It could be an injector or ignition problem or a problem with throttle position sensor.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

600 rpms is a bit low..... shouldnt it idle @ 7 ?

while running on the hose at 2000 prms, pull each plug at a time listening for a distinct power loss.pull and push wire on and off ensuring fire.

you can also disconnect each injector at a time listening for the same dropping cyl.

you would be tryng to find one that DOESnt change, NOT doing what its supposed to be doing.
            Last edited by jb123; 04-03-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X