Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I turn away from a 2003 250 HPDI???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I turn away from a 2003 250 HPDI???

I have been reading alot on this forum. It has been very helpful, although I do have a few questions.
    - should I stay away from a 2003 250 HPDI
    - how many times do I have to replace the fuel filter? ANd how much is that going to cost me per season? ( say I go out 50-70 hours a season and can replace filters myself)
    - Is this motor very reliable???
    I am just a little nervous on not only a big purchasefor me on a boat but I do not want the thing to die on me a year down the road...

Originally posted by veloken View Post
    I have been reading alot on this forum. It has been very helpful, although I do have a few questions.
    - should I stay away from a 2003 250 HPDI
    - how many times do I have to replace the fuel filter? ANd how much is that going to cost me per season? ( say I go out 50-70 hours a season and can replace filters myself)
    - Is this motor very reliable???
    I am just a little nervous on not only a big purchasefor me on a boat but I do not want the thing to die on me a year down the road...
    If you are so worried about dirty fuel and the like just fit a big filter on a bulk head with a glass bowl on the bottom and throw away element and the clip on hose connections , clip on the standard hose after the filter and the muck will never get to the outboard !!
    Iv been running this setup for 5 years and never changed the filter once yet. The sight glass bowl is easy to see into if there is anything in the way of water etc and at worse if a element gets blocked just change it ! the dirt will not have got to the motor filter !!!!.
    I always use bigger diameter fuel lines as into the filter and out of as far as i can go ,like right to the last fitting on the motor so the motor will never starve for fuel and as the fuel is moving through the line much slower its less likely to block up .
    I always clean the tote tanks once a year and the underfloor tank the same, once a year
    Last edited by tunnels; 03-18-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X