1999 150 hp 30 amp fuse problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 150 hp 30 amp fuse problem

After setting up for a couple of weeks the engine will turn over but will not start. If the 30 amp fuse is pulled and the same fuse put back in, the egine will will start. If the engine is run ever few days there is not a problem.
    The above went on for several months, then the fuse went out while running at speed the last time out.
    This problem started after having the rectfier and regulator replaced.
    Last edited by cgmassey; 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM. Reason: additional information

Check and clean all ground connections, look for corroded wire connections and shorts.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

yep, its not the fuse but moving the wires that helps. use a voltmeter BEFORE you play with fuse/move wires to track down the bad wire/connection.

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        Check and clean all ground connections, look for corroded wire connections and shorts.
        Have done this, still have the problem

Comment

[QUOTE=jb123;32515]yep, its not the fuse but moving the wires that helps. use a voltmeter BEFORE you play with fuse/move wires to track down the bad wire/connection.[/QUO

Thats what I thought, so I moved the wires and left the fuse in and still could not start the engine until I pulled the fuse and put it back in.

Comment

Fuse Block

Pull the wires out of the fuse block and see what they look like stick a fuse in there and see if the fuse holder has a good connection and clean inside

Comment

Originally posted by Aleutianwest View Post
              Pull the wires out of the fuse block and see what they look like stick a fuse in there and see if the fuse holder has a good connection and clean inside
              The fuse holder looks like a new one so it makes it less likely that it is a fuse contact problem but there is a chance that the wire connection is the problem.
              It acts likes something in the electrical circuit resets when I pull the fuse, which I don't understand as there is a battery switch that is off until I try to start engine

Comment

Working...
              X