225hp O/B problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225hp O/B problem

I have a 97 225 yam outboard and just the last time out it started to cut out for no reason at RPM's greater than 3800. At low to mid throttle the engine runs fine, but after it gets going above 3800 it will cut out and resume at random. I watched the gauges to see if it was a ground issue, but they stayed illuminated. I checked all the cables, and they apprear to be well torqued down. Could this be an o2 sensor? There's no sluggish or bog-down feel when it cuts out, so i'm sure its not a fuel issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nick

A 1997 model has carbs and would not have an O2 sensor. Probably dirty carbs or fuel restriction.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I'm pretty sure my engine is EFI- what are some things i can look at to verify?

Comment

Hey Boats.net You got me second guessing myself, i don't know why, but the motor is EFI. Its a 1997 S225TURV. I just replaced the high pressure fuel pump several month's ago. Anyways, with the sudden cut-out and then resuming problem, could it be the o2???
        JW

Comment

more likely junk in vst

Comment

I just got through replacing the pump and cleaning everything out in the vst- do you think something could've clogged the filter inside the tank?

Comment

several months ago, with ethanol in your most likely aluminum tank, yes it could be clogging again.

to be sure its not a supply side issue, use a diff tank, ball and hose hooked to motor filter.

Comment

You are right, I'm sorry S225TURV is an OX66 EFI model. The O2 could cause it, might try to clean it.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok- thanks guys. I will get to it this weekend and report back if that was the fix.
                  JW

Comment

BTW- Is there a life span on o2 sensors? The sensor is original from '97- but i use Ring Free additive all the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X