No announcement yet.

Help for hard start (cold) 96 V4 130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good test might be to put some new plugs in after tilting to see if plugs are being fouled by oil puddling. I've had that issue with my 88 200. Cold weather just makes it harder to get it to fire thru the oil.

Comment

taking a break

Gentlemen,
      Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going fishing for some specks and red for a week and won't be able to try your suggestions until next week sometime. Thank you again and I will keep you posted

Obviously I am not taking my boat which is too bad.

Comment

I'm back....and I melted my ground cable

Well I am back after a week off inshore fishing around Beaufort,SC.

Engine was in the down position for a week..

I recharged the battery prior to starting the process all over again. I even had it checked out at AutoZone with putting a load on it...OK

Replaced plugs with new and gapped @ .04 NGKs

I actually connected a plug to the plug wire and turned it over briefly and could see spark from the plug. Plugs appearred to have gas on them when I removed the old ones.

Primed bulb and could hear gas going into carbs.

Silinoid for choke working

I got a few almost starts after extended cranking..sputters BUT started smelling electrical and noticed ground wire was MELTING next to battery!

Prior to this I only heard what I assume was the starter spin ONCE after I cut off the engine (turned key to off). Mostly the engine turned over without problems but would occationally crank, then stop, then start to crank again(not start), for extended periods but not start? Only twice did it actually sputter as if it was going to start and run.

Obviously now I have to replace my ground cable, but is this starting to look like a starter problem?..BTW....I tapped on the starter at one point to see if possible the bushings were frozen,,(old trick from when my dad owned a '46 Plymouth)

Thanks again for all thoughts
        Last edited by Flat Fly'n; 11-12-2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

if your neg cable is wicked then you can either replace it or cut it back 6" or so and crimp another end on it. IF you dont have a great ground the motor wont turn fast enuf to create strong spark. you felt the cable in the middle....imagine how the ENDS felt !?!

Comment

"I'm melting" ....Oh what a problem with my wicked Yammie!

It's getting to be a joke now!

Yeah. It melted about 6" from the battery. So I will cut it back, and I am going out and get a connector tomorrow. The ground cable was connected to the screw-in connector on the battery along with another much smaller wire. I think I will connect the ground to the big negative post, and the smaller one to the screw in,....and then try it again.

Geez, too much learning about electricity. I thought I had it licked when I rewired my trailer and learned about liquid electric tape, and shrink wrap!

Thanks again, and will update.

Comment

It's a tie! It WAS the ground!

OK, I think the formentioned prize goes to jb123 and boat.net! IF you guys PM with your address I will send you some saltwater flies, and if you don't flyfish I will send a Bass Pro or Cabela's gift cert. of your choice!

I did cut the ground back and attached it to a real (automotive) connector. Small ground to the screw in. The engine spun right off and was sputtering to get started, so I pumped the fuel pump once more while the engine was cranking and it started right off. I have a feeling as well that the new Koller pump I put in is not working well either, but that too is inexpensive and a quick fix.

Ground did not get hot during cranking or running. As you can see from the original ground that there must have been a crack in the insulation that lead to the failure. It was close to where I had had a scupper hose fracture last year and maybe salt (from the discoloration of the copper) got into and did it's thing.

Thanks so much again for everyone's help and I hope we all learned something from this problem......check your ground wire !
              Last edited by Flat Fly'n; 11-14-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

now that you know its wicked you should eventually replace the entire cable.

Comment

Working...
                X