Twin F225 set-up. Toe-in or Toe-out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin F225 set-up. Toe-in or Toe-out?

I have twin F225 (2005 model) on my deep-V RIB (27 feet, deadrise of 24.5 degrees on transom). I am not happy with the handling at speeds over 45 mph as the boat feels unstable, needs continuous steering input and if trimmed up more than than 3 dashes on the Yamaha digital trim gauge, it starts to chinewalk. Motors are mounted to the last hole (highest position). I will soon check the toe-in / toe-out of the engines to see what it is. Does anyone know how much toe-in or toe-out Yamaha recommends for those engines when rigged on deep-V hulls?

I only have experience from twin sterndives with duo-prop. On that setup, 2-3 degrees of toe-in is recomended.

Comment

HI, I have twin f 225's on my boat, 26 Robalo CC, much heaver than yours, and as far as I know there is no tow, one way or another.
      Dennis

Comment

Toe in should be 0-1 inch. The wake should meet between 25 and 50 feet behind boat.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

And do you know what determines whether toe-in should be 0 or 1/2 or 1 inch? In my boat the motors are mounted directly on the transom (no bracket or jack plates) and deadrise at the trnasom is 24.5. Any idea whether it should be closer to 0 or closer to 1 inch? Is there a way to understand when it's right and when it's not?

Comment

We set them at 0 and very seldom do we have to make any adjustments.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

OK, I will measure the actual toe-in and post the result. Regarding engine height
              for the twin F225 on a deep-V hull with pad, would you say that the cavitation plate at neutral trim should be even with the bottom of pad or well above it?

Comment

What did you end up with?

Comment

Would there be a speed advantage and fuel mileage gain in running zero vs toe in?

Comment

toe in prop wash should meet about 6 to 8 meters behind boat further out if you are really chasing speed
                    Last edited by sean181; 07-20-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X