Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy new or keep going?

Hello-

1998 Yamaha lost reverse. I thought it was due to a broken motor mount that bent the shift shaft. I paid the shop to remove the powerhead in order to get to the mounts...

$425 later, the powerhead is off. The shop says that there is alot of rust on the steering linkage and the studs are ready to break.

Additionally, the shop is recommending a new lower unit as the problem lies inside the gearcase.

They are telling me a rebuilt lower unit, motor mounts and steering bracket assembly will run $3500 and I should consider a new motor.

This boat spent 3 years in saltwater and the last 6 in freshwater. Broken bolts are why it took so long to remove the powerhead. They are anticipating the same amount of labor to open the lower unit, thus they are suggesting a rebuilt

I am a bit intimidated by opening up the lower unit, myself. I have the sealoc manual.

New starter this year, new trim motor, the powerhead runs like a top.

So, do I stay or do I go????

Tough call, you probably couldn't sell it and get that much money out of it. It the engine is in good shape and you are satisfied with outboard then it may be worth it to you.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X