90 Hp intermittent starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 Hp intermittent starting

Hi folks, Great help here. I am having trouble with my 90. At times it starts and runs like a top. I will take it out drive a bit, then stop and swim and such in the lake. Then when I try to start it again there is nothing, no sound, no click, no nothing. A couple times I heard a click, would try again and then it would start. I assumed it was my starter on its way out but the next time it happened, I got towed to shore, I could also not trim up the engine. So it is clearly a power issue. The battery is strong, connections seem to be tight. After I fiddled with the manual trim screw to allow me to lift the engine by hand so I could trailer it out, I thought, hmmm wonder if it works, sure enough the trim worked and low and behold the engine started. This has happened 3 times now. The second two times all I did was paddle for 5 minutes, try again and then it worked. Like I said I checked the battery connections and everything is solid. What else should I look at?

Thanks in advance.

Check the fuse on engine, make the fuse is fitting tight in holder and connections are good. Check condition of battery cable and connections at battery and on engine.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Start problems

I screwed with a similar problem on my 115 4 stroke.

Finally I was told to put a volt meter on the starter and watched the voltage while I tried to crank.

DROPPED BELOW 5 VOLTS at the starter.

I used jumper cables to verify repair, jumper from battery to starter both positive and negative.

Started right up.

Bought and replaced battery cables from battery to engine.

fixed the problem.

the cables were oxidized and eroded so there was only 1/2 to 1/4 of the conductors working.

Both the positive and negative cable were bad.

Dave

Comment

Some more info after this past weekend:

A buddy thought the problem was my solenoid, so in a time of problem we connected across the solenoid with a screw driver. The engine turned over repeatedly however there was no spark to allow the engine to start.

Ideas?

Comment

unplug 10 pin harness and run as usual....see if the issue occurs without keyswitch, neutral stop and kill hooked up.

Comment

Working...
          X