Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powerhead removal

Hi all

I was wondering if there is a trick to pulling the powerhead off a 1991 200hp TXRP V6. I have all 10 bolts off per instructions in the manual but when i go to pull the PH off the front end of the PH seems stuck. Do i have to tilt the engine a bit to pull off or can i just horse it out of there. Does anybody have any suggestions or tricks that will work with out damaging the PH? Oh yeah i cant tilt my engine up because everything is un hooked. I tried the manual lift but it is stuck. thanks for any help you can give me.

matt

6 on the sides, 2 in rear , 4 in front under intake.

Comment

I just did the same on my 225 txrp. You need a cherry picker to lift evenly up on the engine. Once you have tension on the engine, put the nuts on the 2 front bolts under the power head, and hit them with an air hammer. Make sur you put some wd40 on them and let it sit for a day or so before trying to remove. Also be careful not to damage the threads with the air hammer. One you put tension on it, and hit the bolts with the hammer it should pop right off. Make sure you lift it stratight up so you do not damage the shaft to the lower unit.

Comment

Teft, please explain the air hammer procedure. Do you put the nuts on to protect the threads and then hit the nut heads with the air hammer? Not sure how you get in there with the hammer. What kind of attachment do you use on the air hammer? Is PB Blaster a better alternative to WD40?
        Shazam did you purchase a new powerhead from Yamaha? What is included with a new/rebuild powerhead from the factory? Intake? reed valves? injectors? Aside from electrical components is it plug and play? I believe boats.net sells a powerhead for about $3500 is that about right?
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I was ablt to turn the engine enough to get a 6 inch, punch style, attachment. Yes, I put the nut on the bolt so I didnt damage the threads. You can also put the air hammer on the bracket the bolts go thru. As long as there is tension on the engine, you can hit anywhere in the vecinity of the bolts, and it should vibrate enough to release the engine.

Comment

Working...
          X