Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Yamaha 90 hp prop Question.

Hi
    I have a 1985 90 hp Yamaha on a 1985 24' Fiberglass Skipper Craft Pontoon Boat. The boat weight is around 2800 pounds when ready for a day on the water.
    I am only getting 4900 rpm at wide open throttle and a speed of 19.8 mph on GPS with the motor trimmed to its best performance spot, if trimmed up from this location it blows out or cavitate's, if trimmed down I loose MPH and RPM.

The Motor is mounted on the boat so the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the pontoons and it has the stock prop on it to the best of my knowledge. The only number I can find on prop is a 14 K stamped on it.

Can some one tell me what prop I have and which way to go pitch wise to obtain better performance. I am not looking to go fast . But it seems my RPM are lower than they should be.
    What is the max RPM for this motor ? I would like to try and get better fuel economy and maybe a few MPH by getting RPM up and not have to run wide open throtle.

Thanks for reading my info and for any help that is offered.
    Attached Files

You have a 14 pitch prop and probably is the best prop for speed, pontoon boat is not really a plaining hull boat and getting more speed or bow lift is not going easy to do. A 13 pitch alum prop would give more rpm's and may help with fuel economy but not more speed.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks boats.net

Hi
      Thanks for the info I am not so much after the speed as I am after better fuel economy. So I will give a 13 pitch a try.I will post the results after I pick one up and do some testing.
      Tim

Comment

Working...
      X