2003 225 OX66 Oil Linkage Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 225 OX66 Oil Linkage Adjustment

I have a 2003 225 OX66 (VX225TLRB) (400 hours on motor). I have continually fouled plugs when I have to idle any distance or about every 50 hours. With the price of gas I now hardly ever open her up and the fouling seems to be worse. The last set of plugs I had were completely fouled after a fairly long 2-3000 rpm jog in heavy waves with a heavy load. Also did quite a bit of idling prior to this looking at the graph for some deep fish. I maybe got 10-15 hours out of this set. Changing the plugs solved the problem. Also replaced the thermostats, although when I checked them they were working fine. Checked all the low pressure fuel pumps and one was leaking a little. Re-built it. The others were fine. I checked the oil linkage and the lever was about 3/16 inch away from the stop pin with the butterfly completely closed, although checking my 20 hour check receipt the dealer said he re-set this. That was back in 2004, so I'm wondering if the dealer really did adjust it, or just said he did.

From what I've read on this board the oil linkage lever should be against the stop pin with the butterfly closed. Is this the correct adjustment? I checked my buddies this weekend and his was where mine was originally (3/16 away from the stop pin) although he fouls plugs every 40-50 hours also

On that motor, with the throttle plates completely closed adjust the oil pump link to touch the stop pin. When you readjust the idle speed the oil link arm will be away from stop.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Idle adjustment screw

Thanks for the quick reply. I buy all my parts from you guys. About half the cost.

My idle adjust screw just barely touches. I only had to back it off one turn and then I don't think I really had to do that to get the throttle plates to close completely. There isn't another adjustment is there? It has always idled fine and I have never had to tighten the screw to get more RPM.

Comment

Do sync and linkage adjust as per service manual.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X