no crank-only a click AGAIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no crank-only a click AGAIN!

I have a 99 yamaha T50TLRX that started out as a a no crank problem and replace starter relay and cranked and started for a short while ,then I checked oil and found gas in oil and replaced fuel pump and now have no crank problem again-only clicks.I can cross relay terminals and will crank and start,but I need to know where to go next. I am burning up terminals by crossing them with screwdriver.please give input!!!!

Should have 12 volts at brown wire on starter relay with key in start position, if do relay may be bad, if not then wire harness or key switch or neutral saftey switch may be bad.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

not cranking-only clicks

I have replaced starter relay and started for short while. Now all I get is a click for a few times then hear nothing when turning key,but can cross terminals on starter relay to start. What is relay #23,part #6H1-81950-00-00? It is mounted lower and behind starter solenoid #5 part #6G1-81941-10-00. I have just replaced #5 solenoid or relay as Yamaha calls it,as I previously stated,but I am burning up terminals starting engine that way. I have checked all wiring from engine to ignition switch and to safety switch with lanyard attached. Shouldnt the neutral switch and key switch be okay since I do hear click when key turned and starts when crossing solenoid? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS,THIS ONE HAS GOT ME BAFFLED!-JOHN ALLEN
      Last edited by shadmaster3; 07-27-2008, 07:52 AM. Reason: forgot to add last lines about neutral switch

Comment

replace your key switch. I had the same problem, and after going nuts trying to find something else wrong, and replacing starter, Etc., it turned out to be the key switch, sometimes it would and sometimes it would not.
        Dennis

Comment

Working...
        X