Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 F200 - occasional hot start problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F200 - occasional hot start problem?

I have a 2005 F200 which has been just great - nothing but routine maintenance needed. Since new, it has had a very occasional hot start problem - maybe happens 2 or 3 times per year, and always after you're been running, and stopped the engine for only a minute or two; it does not seem to happen if it's been off for longer.

We have a conventional dual battery setup, and alternate the batteries on odd / even days. When the hot start problem occurs, it acts like there is not enough battery current - the starter motor kicks for about 1/2 second, then stops. If you turn the key off and try again, the same thing happens. If you then switch to two batteries, it starts instantly. It only happens when hot - either battery will reliably start the engine when cold.

Anyone else run into this? It does not seem to be a big deal, but it can be a little disconcerting.

Tim

The battery should be a minium of 512 cold cranking amps with 182 reserve capacity. Have you had the battery tested to see if ok? Starter could be going bad, drawing too much amps.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. Doubt it's a battery issue, because both batteries behave the same, and the motor has acted like this since day 1. I could see it being a weak starter - if so, it came that way from the factory. You'd think that it would take more starter power to turn over a cold motor. Really just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same symptoms - though I read something about it a while back, but can't find the post.

Tim

Comment

Working...
      X