1998 V4 cold start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 V4 cold start problem

Recently purchased this motor and had major "bad gas issues". I drained both tanks completely, pulled the bowls of carbs and cleaned floats, cleaned fuel filter, new plugs and have run 30 gallons of fuel through the motor. The only way I can get the motor to start is to pull the cover, give a shot of carb cleaner to fire and it will run. I have to let it idle for a while before engaging forward or it will kill. The squeeze pump stays hard after pumping. I have used several bottles of sea foam and the engine runs great once it gets going. If I turn the motor off for an hour same problem. I feel that fuel is not spraying into carbs at cold start. Do I need a new fuel pump?

Probably need to remove carbs and clean, check elect choke is working.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

If the engine runs fine once it started then you don't need new pumps.

1. Check that the choke(s) are fully closed when you’re on the choke switch.
      2. Check that your fast idle control is opening the carbs
      3. Make sure you're following the correct cold start procedures. (A. Move the fast idle control until you feel the carbs starting to open. B. Hold the choke switch and C. Turn the key and wait for the engine to catch (no more then 10 seconds). D. Release the choke and bring the fast idle down to 1000-1200 rpms for 15-30 seconds to let the engine warm up.
      4. Check your initial timing
      5. Replace your sparkplugs.

Comment

Working...
      X