Power Head Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Head Replacement

I have a 1984 90hp and the # 2 piston seized on me. I've ordered a new powerhead and should be in by the end of the week. I am going to replace it myself. Are there any gremlins that I should look out for?

Make sure you rebuild carbs and fuel pump, replace water pump, check timming and breakin as per owners manual.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Carbs and waterpump are done, anything special about the fuel pump? I've never had that apart. Does Yamaha offer a factory manual or do I have to stay with the Clymer?

Comment

I would disassemble fuel pump and inspect. Yamaha does make a manual you can order from www.yamaha-motor.com but the Clymer should give you specs needed.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Powerhead replacement 1984 90hp

Finished powerhead replacement, piece of cake, except for one corroded bolt that I had to drill out. Since this is my first time preforming major surgery on an outboard it couldn't have gone any smoother. I may have learned just enough to be dangerous. Great way to bring new life to a tired old friend.
          What is the reccommended break-in for a new powerhead. If anyone needs them I have a good block and crank.

Comment

Working...
          X