Yamaha F9.9BM with strange problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F9.9BM with strange problem

Hi, I have an F9.9BM (approx. 1990-model, I think) that does the following: Starts fine, runs for several seconds up to minutes, until it takes on a very irregular "cyclic" high idle. Seems like the ignition is turned off and on in cycles of 1-2 per sencond. It does not feel hot when this starts, cooling water barely lukewarm. If stopped, it sometimes will run OK for a minute or two, before the symptom recurs, or it can be started and the problem is there right away.
    - Plugs changed, correct (CR6HS) with correct gap (0,65 mm).
    - Valve clearances correct (inlet 0,2 mm, exhaust 0,25).
    - Fuel line OK, vent in tank open, hand pump OK, fuel pump in the engine OK, problem not reduced by hand pumping the bulb-pump.
    - Engine oil level and appearance OK.
    - Ignition spark fresh, sparks over 2-3 cm gap when disconnected from plug).

To me it could seem to be some kind of electronic protection system interfering? Any suggestions?

May have an ignition component breaking down.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Problem solved: Low oil pressure. Problem "disappeared" when electrically disconnecting the oil pressure switch. According to the manual the engine has a safety function that cuts in when the oil pressure is low and limits revs to a high idle. I have no oil pressure gauge available, but I have cleaned and pressure-tested the switch, and it seems to be OK. So I guess the root problem is low oil pressure, sometimes getting low enough to engage the safety system.

Comment

Working...
      X