Getting my Yamaha 25 back in shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my Yamaha 25 back in shape

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I have a Yamaha, oil injected 25hp tiller model, the tag on the left side of the drive housing says:

Yamaha 25 LHT
    6L2 L 404866 Y

I am still searching for the owner's manual I had for this outboard, but I am beginning to think it is lost. I am the original owner. I believe I bought it in 1995 or 1996. It was a new leftover, so it is probably a 1995 model.

The outboard has been sitting on my boat for the past five years. It has not been run in all of that time. I would like to put it back into top condition, and am looking for advice on which systems to check and restore before I attempt to run it again.

The engine ran flawlessly, and was used lightly for 7 summers. I dont think there were more than 100 hours on it when I parked the the boat and trailer and let it sit for 5 years. I had always taken the engine to a Yamaha dealer for service in the spring before using it, so it had all needed services up until the time I parked it. (This dealer is no longer in business, unfortunately). I was also in the habit of running the engine dry after every use...never leaving uncombusted gas in the engine. It was run in both salt and fresh water. But I always flushed the cooling system when I got home, using fresh water from a hose and "ear muffs" over the intakes.

The only thing I did with the engine while it sat all of those years is pull the starter cord (with no gas hooked up to the engine) occasionally to see of the motor was frozen. It never did freeze up. In fact, it feels like it still has good compression. Today I washed the outside of the outboard. It looks amazing, considering it is now 13 years old and spent the last 5 years parked under densely foliated oak trees. I opened the cowling and cleaned out the spiders inside. Everything appears surprisingly clean, on the surface. The only thing that caught my eye is there is some rust around the bottom of the 4 bolts that hold the bottom half of the engine cover to the lower assembly. I didn't look too closely...to see of that rust was on ferrous washers under the bolt heads, or if the the bottom of the engine cover itself was corroding a little. It didn't look critical, though....just surface rust.

The grease on everything else seems to have held up well. The motor tilts easily, and turns both ways freely. The throttle cable is slightly stiff, but free. The gears shift easily and freely. When in neutral, the prop spins easily. The rubber seal around the upper part of the cowling seems to be in good shape.

More than that, I cant tell. But my concerns are for things like the oil in the injector reservoir. I am sure it has to be cleaned out after all of this time. The carb needs rebuilding, maybe? Certainly a new spark plug is in order. I would be surprised if I did not need to change other gaskets and seals, especially for the lower part of the drive assembly. I have changed the gear oil in the past. I would do that again just for good measure.

Anyway, what I am looking for as advice on just how far to take my repairs and refurbishing? I know its a lot to ask, but if I had a checklist to go through, it would be a huge help. I realize you folks sell parts. And I will need parts...so hopefully your help will make for a fruitful relationship on both sides.

I am also willing to buy a service manual and try doing the repairs on my own. I am just not sure exactly which service manual I need because I dont have the owner's manual with the exact model number. (Maybe the serial number I provided, above, will help with that). I was a decent auto mechanic, back when a Chilton's guide, a ratchet set, a torque wrench, and a feeler guage would get you through most auto repairs. I am guessing I can handle this, too.

Sorry this post is so long. I am just trying to be thorough. I love this little outboard and would really like to see it in service again. Oh, and I saw in another post that these can be modified so they can charge a boat battery? Any help in that direction would be appreciated, too.

Much appreciated...

Dale
    Last edited by Ddr; 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM.

I would clean the carbs and replace water pump along the other things you mentioned. Put a 50:1 oil premix in gas tank to assure oil jection system is air free and working properly.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I see I have my work cut out for me and I am anxious to get going. I need to buy a service manual for my outboard, but it seems without my original owner's manual, I am not sure exactly which model I have.

On The website, http://www.yamahapubs.com/, lists these manuals for 25HP outboards from 1995:

25 ELHT
      25 MLHT
      C25ELHT
      C25MLHT

I am not sure which one to buy. And since they are pricey, I would rather not have to buy several. Can anyone tell from the tag info I posted above, which model this one is?

To repeat the info, the ouboard is, I think a '95. It is a tiller model, oil injected two stroke. The tag on the left side of the lower unit says:

Yahama 25 LHT
      6L2 L 404866 Y

Thanks in advance, again, for any help you can offer.

Dale

Comment

You may be able to get away with a Clymers manual for 25 bucks, covers much of the same stuff. I had a 25 few years back...

Comment

Thanks! I will check that out.

Dale

Comment

Thanks so much for pointing me at the correct service manual. Do I understand you...that you might be willing to share that PDF? If so, I would be very grateful. Feel free to contact me at my email, dddr7@hotmail.com, or though this Forum's PM system to discuss this further.

Dale

Comment

In addition to the other work mentioned above - I'd also action (in no particular order but important none the less)

a/ renew starter rope
              b/ grease all nipple points
              c/ check and grease throttle linkage
              d/ renew gear oil
              e/ remove prop, grease drive-shaft and renew split pin
              f/ drain fuel filter (on outboard), clean and refill with fresh fuel
              g/ renew gear oil
              h/ check torque setting of flywheel nut
              i/ drain fuel in fuel tank (including primer hose) and renew

Comment

One last thing...

j/ remove thermostat and check for corrosion. Chances are it may just need wire-brushed to shift any salt deposits. Clean out chamber and reassemble. If in any doubts about condition - replace it's a relatively cheap but essential fix.

Comment

***, Spartacus, thank you for that really helpful post. I will be looking at your advice very carefully and probably will do everything on your list. It all makes sense to me.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                  X